Hello everyone!!!

Grizzly Byker

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to home brew for many years. I gave it an attempt about 20 plus years ago, but as an over the road driver, I never really had the stability and time. Or I was too busy riding the scooter. Well, I'm off the road and working local so I'm realizing the dream.

I realize that this thread is an introduction, but I have a question I hope I can get answered. I brewed my second all grain 2 days ago and while the ambient temperature around my fermenter is about 66°F, the probe that I have stuck between the carry strap and the carboy is reading about 72-73°F. The optimum max temp for the yeast I'm using is 72°F and that is my concern. I never realized that the fermentation process generated so much heat..... or am I missing something here?? It's doing what it's suppose to.... bubbling away. All comments and advise will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Grizz

Welcome! Very cool that you’re getting back at it.

Active fermentation will definitely create some heat so this is perfectly normal. Whether or not 72-73 degrees will be an issue is most likely dependent on what yeast you used. Most ale yeasts will give off some estery, fruity flavors when fermented at their upper range, but not always. And these esters are not necessarily an unwelcome thing either, that would depend on what type of beer you are brewing. If you were aiming for a super clean Cream Ale, well not so good. But if you were making an IPA, 1) you might not even notice any yeast derived flavors and 2) they might actually add a little punch.

Anyway, I’m sure others will chime in. Good to have you here. Keep us posted on how #2 turns out.

Welcome! Very cool that you’re getting back at it.

Active fermentation will definitely create some heat so this is perfectly normal. Whether or not 72-73 degrees will be an issue is most likely dependent on what yeast you used. Most ale yeasts will give off some estery, fruity flavors when fermented at their upper range, but not always. And these esters are not necessarily an unwelcome thing either, that would depend on what type of beer you are brewing. If you were aiming for a super clean Cream Ale, well not so good. But if you were making an IPA, 1) you might not even notice any yeast derived flavors and 2) they might actually add a little punch.

Anyway, I’m sure others will chime in. Good to have you here. Keep us posted on how #2 turns out.
Is a Irish red ale (all grain kit) using Wyeast #1272 American ale yeast II, optimum temp range 60-72°F.

Is a Irish red ale (all grain kit) using Wyeast #1272 American ale yeast II, optimum temp range 60-72°F.
Regarding 1272, according to Wyeast: “Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character and increase fruitiness”. So you might get a bit of that. But in an Irish Red, I could see that being just fine.

Good luck!

Welcome to Brewers Friend!
Good luck in your brewing adventure!

Yeast are living organisms, they eat sugar. The byproducts they give off are alcohol (yay), Co2 (hence the bubbles), and heat as you have learned!
If you are at the high end of the temp range you could soak a T shirt with water and drape it over the carboy, the evaporation will cause some cooling.

welcome to the site and brewing, not always but yeast can generate heat as much as 10 degrees on their own, it’s not a deal breaker to go a degree or 2 above the recommended temp so good luck with your beer, let us know how it finished

Welcome to Brewers Friend!
Good luck in your brewing adventure!

Yeast are living organisms, they eat sugar. The byproducts they give off are alcohol (yay), Co2 (hence the bubbles), and heat as you have learned!
If you are at the high end of the temp range you could soak a T shirt with water and drape it over the carboy, the evaporation will cause some cooling.
I think Iwill try that although I gotta say that Megary eased my worries!

Thanks to both of you for replying!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of HomeBrew. Beer Is Life.

Wyeast #1272 American ale yeast II, optimum temp range 60-72°F
Key word: Optimum. Although not with this particular yeast, my fermenter (when not in the temp-controlled fridge) routinely hits 72 or 73 (ambient 66-68) with no ill effects.

Bottom line: It'll be fine. Let us know, though, so we all learn more.

Oh, and welcome! That's a great photo, the name matches perfectly.

Welcome Grizzly Byker.
Enjoy the hobby, and live your dreams to the fullest!!!

Cheers!

I’m curious what you ride. I’m a Triumph Tiger guy myself. Put 80k km on my 2012 800 and have 34km on my 2021 900.

Welcome from another South STL county resident.

Search for "swamp cooler" on the forum. May be an easy and cheap alternative for temp control.

Cheers!

I'd definitely look into some form of temperature control, especially as we move into summer. The temperature in the middle of your fermenting beer is going to be a few degrees higher than on the outside of the fermenter. As others have said being a few degrees outside the optimum temp range for a yeast isn't a huge deal but, it's best to color inside the lines. Yeast do their best work when they're happy.

Cheers and Welcome!

Back