Max Co2 in American beer bottle

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Short of it:
What is the max volume of Co2 that you can put into a regular American beer bottle that you cap?

Long of it:
I measured incorrectly and put 5.2 ounces (147 grams) of table sugar for priming 3.45 gallons (13.06 liters) of beer. This is the same beer that I may have sucked about 1 liter of starsan and water into during the cold crash. The brew day was a mess as well, wet grain all over the kitchen floor. Even had temp issues during the fermentation. In fact, everything about this beer has been an absolute mess. However, sampling it before I cocked up the priming sugar, it was actually pretty tasty. Who knows what the end result will be. I just hope that I don't blow something up. Hence the post and question about Max Co2 in an American beer bottle.

Short of it:
What is the max volume of Co2 that you can put into a regular American beer bottle that you cap?

Long of it:
I measured incorrectly and put 5.2 ounces (147 grams) of table sugar for priming 3.45 gallons (13.06 liters) of beer. This is the same beer that I may have sucked about 1 liter of starsan and water into during the cold crash. The brew day was a mess as well, wet grain all over the kitchen floor. Even had temp issues during the fermentation. In fact, everything about this beer has been an absolute mess. However, sampling it before I cocked up the priming sugar, it was actually pretty tasty. Who knows what the end result will be. I just hope that I don't blow something up. Hence the post and question about Max Co2 in an American beer bottle.
Above about 3 vols, you're getting into dangerous territory. I've put more pressure than that on them. If you keep them cold, 3 vols is not an issue, but if you let them warm up, pressure increases. I've had a few shatter, never when I was around, but it has happened.

Can you put them in a box or so?
Then if they explode/shatter, at least it's contained.

I almost always carb my bottles to 2.5 volumes, and during conditioning place them in six pack holders that sit in small coolers. To date, none of my bottles has failed, but then I’m not pushing the boundaries. It is an interesting point to consider, how much pressure different types of bottles can handle. Recently, I acquired a dozen 500 ml brown glass flip top bottles, and wonder if these might be appropriate for higher carbed beers like those over 3 volumes.

If you're going over 3 vols, use Belgian or the German-style half-liters. They're rated for the pressure.

So for shipping, say, 6 bottles of hefeweitzen to, say, somewhere in Colorado this month, would a 6-pack of imported hefeweitzen (say, Franziskaner) have bottles that might survive this hypothetical shipping? I wish to use somewhere around 4.0 volumes here...

I've done 4 volumes in American beer bottles with a hefe not knowing any better and they were fine but maybe it was just beginners luck...
That probably could have gone bad.

So for shipping, say, 6 bottles of hefeweitzen to, say, somewhere in Colorado this month, would a 6-pack of imported hefeweitzen (say, Franziskaner) have bottles that might survive this hypothetical shipping? I wish to use somewhere around 4.0 volumes here...
Your yeast samples (hint,hint) should arrive just fine.

Back