Fermenting a Lager

Cool!. I didn't want to get into balloons and surgical drip bags (seen on youtube). The gravity is one ponit from my estimated number. I'm gonna leave it at 58F for the next 3 days the rack it to a keg, CO2 it and forget about it

That's how I do it. Not worth the extra hassle honestly.

I really need to get a refractometer instead of the hydrometer I have. I just don’t like wasting so much deliciousness every time I take a reading. I ended up with a 1.042 after I had already pitched my yeast :/
Do you know anything about the TILT product (digital hydrometer/temp reader)?
I used the Tilt a couple times. Didn't find it worth the money. I make a little extra beer and enjoy every pull I take for gravity readings. Nothing like tasting the fruits of your labors! I now tend to ferment in either a fermzilla "All-Rounder" under a bit of pressure and find taking a sample very easy and unobtrusive. The amount of money you'd spend on a tilt could buy you an "All-Rounder" and probably even a spare 5lb co2 tank with fitting to force transfer :)

I use a refractometer (cheap 20-30 one) for samples during brew day - super handy... but I use the regular hydrometer for after fermentation.

I used the Tilt a couple times. Didn't find it worth the money. I make a little extra beer and enjoy every pull I take for gravity readings. Nothing like tasting the fruits of your labors! I now tend to ferment in either a fermzilla "All-Rounder" under a bit of pressure and find taking a sample very easy and unobtrusive. The amount of money you'd spend on a tilt could buy you an "All-Rounder" and probably even a spare 5lb co2 tank with fitting to force transfer :)

I use a refractometer (cheap 20-30 one) for samples during brew day - super handy... but I use the regular hydrometer for after fermentation.
I'm with you here, make a little extra to account for samples. I actually make enough extra so that when I take a QC sample (to confirm what I already know) I take a 500ml sample, and quick carb it up in a PET bottle. I have actually over varbed a sample in 20 minutes before...

Back