So I almost set my basement on fire this morning...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Turned on the hot pad under my mash tun, figured I try pre heating it. Forgot to put the temp probe in the tun...cooked the celotex off the bottom. Luckily caught it right away. Tun seems no worse for the wear, ran perfectly(after a good cleaning with baking soda).

Once again, luckily, my niece sold Mom a vacuum and an air purifier/filter a few years ago(and I only live a couple miles from my parents). Thanks to the magic of air purifying filtration, the house no longer smells of burnt insulation, the beer is in the fermenter and my wife will allow me to live another day.

Don’t feel bad. I did something similar. I was cleaning my mash tun and drained the system. I left the heater on. The RIMS tube started to turn red hot without any water. I could have burned down the place, but I didn’t. I felt really stupid and lucky at the same time. It turned out fine, but I would feel bad if I burnt the place down over a silly hobby. Brew on, safely.

Last edited:
Don’t feel bad. I did something similar. I was cleaning my mash tun and drained the system. I left the heater on. The RIMS tube started to turn red hot with any water. I could burned down the place, but I didn’t. I felt really stupid and lucky at the same time. It turned out fine, but I would feel bad if I burnt the place down over a silly hobby. Brew on, safely.
Those RIMS tubes get really hot! After the second time :rolleyes:I wired in a blinky light to avoid the dark side.
On another note ,sounds like the heater will work as planned @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews. ! Brew Safe!

Phewie! Glad to hear crises avoided!
I bet that will be a ripper brew now too!

I fully expect to see a post in the "You k ow you did it wrong when" thread with pictures!
Wasn't really thinking about pictures when I tossed what was left of the bottom insulation in the outside garbage, and scrubbed the char off the tun with baking soda so I could mash in. It's 20 below 0 (F) with the wind chill right now. Not feeling like going out to take a pic of the burnt stuff.

Ouch, that's kind of my big fear with my electric system is frying the heating elements cause I got distracted.

Ouch, that's kind of my big fear with my electric system is frying the heating elements cause I got distracted.
You can install a float switch that cuts the power to the element if liquid level falls at or below element. Impossible with them all In one units though...

Thanks to the magic of air purifying filtration, the house no longer smells of burnt insulation, the beer is in the fermenter and my wife will allow me to live another day.

Yeah...that's a "you KNOW you did it wrong when......" post if I ever saw one...anyway...it's the smell of napalm in the morning that you're supposed to love!:p:confused:;)

Glad all is well...

Back