OG of 1.014?

Almost every beer I have brewed since 2014 has involved at least 1 step followed by a Sparge. Before that I brewed extract. Now I recirculate through the steps with a hold at the step temp. It's kinda analog rather that digital. Works for me, it gives me time to contemplate the wonder of it all.

Did your grains look like this?
Crushed
20210116_224411.jpg

Or like this?
Whole/intact
20210119_162724.jpg

If your grains were not crushed it would be like making bread with kernels of wheat!

Good luck with it!

Tough lessons to learn.

We are all happy to help with advice and such. If you want to share more of your recipe, and your process, maybe we can help make this next batch more of a success.

It was an all grain brew.
12lbs grain
175 degrees in the mash tun for 1.5 hours.
Boiled for 60.
I’ll have to get the exact details later.
I measured with a hydrometer.
I see your problem. 175 in the mash tun denatured your enzymes. you got no conversion. next time try it at 152.

Thank you again everyone! I am going to make sure my grains or crushed/milled this time and 152 degrees in the mash tun!! I am hoping this next batch will turn out better hahahaha

Thank you again everyone! I am going to make sure my grains or crushed/milled this time and 152 degrees in the mash tun!! I am hoping this next batch will turn out better hahahaha

Worst case if you don't have a milling machine, get a mesh bag of some type, blend your grains in a blender, put them in the bag and mash that way. A Brew In A Bag bag is best but really any mesh bag will work, cause I'm assuming your mash tun problem doesn't have a proper filter on it to stop grain getting into the boil.

You're going to get this, and now in 2-3 years when the next newbie comes along you have a story to tell about your learning experience. :)

Edit: I'd be really curious what the rational from your friend was on not crushing the grain, I've never seen that in any literature or instruction.

Worst case if you don't have a milling machine, get a mesh bag of some type, blend your grains in a blender, put them in the bag and mash that way. A Brew In A Bag bag is best but really any mesh bag will work, cause I'm assuming your mash tun problem doesn't have a proper filter on it to stop grain getting into the boil.

You're going to get this, and now in 2-3 years when the next newbie comes along you have a story to tell about your learning experience. :)

Edit: I'd be really curious what the rational from your friend was on not crushing the grain, I've never seen that in any literature or instruction.
Thank you for the help! The local shop will mill the grains for me so I should be good to go. My buddy said he just forgot, hahaha trying to watch kiddos and brew.

I am excited to see where I will be in a couple of years!

Yeah if they'll mill it for you that's a great way to start. Forgetting makes perfect sense, and you not knowing better also makes sense.

You're making great progress already.

In my first year of brewing, getting ready to mash in on a Sunday morning I realized that I didn't have the brew shop mill the grains, and they are not open on Sundays. Fortunately I have relationships with some of the local craft brewery owners. Keith of Jackass Brewing bailed me out!

I do 65C or 64C

Genus Brewing will even mash in right away and bring it up to 150F. They do it overnight.

Bottom line, lower is ok, higher isn't

That's a nice OG to start with. Congrats!

I finally had a chance to do another brew and it was a success!! I made sure my grains were milled and i mashed in at 152F!! I checked my OG and it was 1.047!!!! Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge!!!
Amazing the difference milled grains make;)

Back