Vessel utilization tracking

Dexlor

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I numbered my kegs to keep track of parts in separate numbered bins while cleaning. I was thinking it would be great to be able to track kegs through their cycle.

For example:
  1. BrewSession3 is fermenting in keg 3
  2. BrewSession2 is packaged in keg 1 and in the closet conditioning
  3. Brewsession1 is being served out of the keezer
  4. Keg 4 kicked and is the keezer waiting for cleaning
  5. Kegs 5,6,7 are cleaned/sanitized and purged
  6. Keg 8 is full of starsan

This could also translate to carboys and barrels for people who have a bunch of batches fermenting, conditioning, and aging.

Finally, you could track bottles from a high level (this may get tedious). After bottling, you log how many bottles you filled and perhaps where they are stored. You can track ones you put in long term bottle conditioning , bottles you gave away and expect back, or bottles you gave away with no expectation of return. When you mark "All gone" on the brew session, it puts all the bottles (which you didn't lend or give away) back into the available pool. It would be hard and tedious to micro manage bottles, but from a high level it would prevent you from starting bottling day with too few bottles.

It almost seems that this could be a full blown app, but after dumping starsan into a keg of mineral water due to poor tracking, I think that some sort of tracking could be useful. I'm very interested to see if anyone else would find this helpful.

Last edited:
I would need more kegs...

I would need more kegs...
Hah, I ferment in kegs so they get tied up easily. But this could be used for carboys or conicals as well (however if you're using a conical, I'm sure you're not gonna forget whats in it).

However, it could give you a quick at-a-glance "do I have enough bottles" or "Do I have enough carboys free for this 10 gallon batch?"

Again, I'm likely making a mountain out of a mole hill.

We have something like this available as part of the Pro membership subscription for transferring and packaging vessels.

For a more simple system you could make an Other ingredient for each keg, and use it as an inventory ingredient. When it's brewed, it'll get deducted from inventory, you'll just have to go back in and add it back into inventory when you clean/sanitize.

For a more simple system you could make an Other ingredient for each keg, and use it as an inventory ingredient. When it's brewed, it'll get deducted from inventory, you'll just have to go back in and add it back into inventory when you clean/sanitize.
Oh, that's pretty clever. I'll give that a try.

Back