wooden base for grain mill

mrskittle

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I need to whip up a base for my grain mill so I can use it over a 5 gal bucket. Right now I'm milling over an old cooler insert and the dust is a mess. I'm looking for any insight or recommendations on how to make the base. To me it's a simple circle with a square cut out for the mill but I've never used one. Has anyone found perks to a different design. I've seen some that are oversized or have one end squared. Some have handles. I'm just wondering if there are any differences between the differences in shape or design. In all likelihood, I'm overthinking this but as a furniture maker, I'm thinking of the tool setup for different shapes and so on.

I don't think that the shape matters, but 4 locating bumps to keep it centered on the bucket would be recommended. Mine came like that. I don't really get any dust at all from mine.
Screenshot_20210118-214011_Chrome.jpg

Id imagine there would be heaps of designs and drawings to copy on the web?

20210119_102111.jpg
20210119_102120.jpg
Id imagine there would be heaps of designs and drawings to copy on the web?

My first step is always to troll the web for ideas but I was striking out this time. I didn't know exactly what to call it so my search terms were missing the mark. Without the right term, the google machine just doesn't work the same.

I really just went as simple as possible.

Thanks!

It took some will power to just throw the cleats on. I considered making a ring that fit the inside circumference of a bucket for a perfect fit all around. It was one of those times I had to remind myself that "just because it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to". I just had my 5 year old grind up 12 lbs of grain for me and it worked perfectly! 3/4 inch plywood makes it nice and sturdy.

Back