Duplication of Styles in the master list

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Due to a previous post of mine where I had created a recipe to match a particular style - I thought - and it proved to be wildly out, I decided to research all the approved Beer Style data and I created a spreadsheet that allows me to link my own beer recipes to the Official Style of the beer. This is so I can see where I am going wrong - or right - and improve what I am trying to do (apart from getting drunk on my own creations!)
To that end I took a look at the Style listings on here that I believe (and @Pricelessbrewing please correct me if I'm wrong) that any recipe created using the editor here must look up for its reference data. The Style reference must allow for the Green Ticks and the Style listings to be updated as you build a new recipe.
The only problem I have with the listing is the doubled up entries - as listed below - that have slightly different values for the same name of style.
Either it is an approved style with definitive values - within the specific ranges etc. or its not. Well that's how I read a Style chart anyway. I realise the differences for each of the doubles are minor and the reference for the BJCP is different (could this be the error?) This may be a dated change i.e. some references are pre 2015 I don't know enough about these things but I don't like confusion - and I am confused to the point of doubting how to set up a specific style for certain...
To me the system tells me I am within the spec of a certain style but there seems to be more to it than just aiming for green ticks.
The list of the double styles I found. Tell me if I am unnecessarily concerned.
upload_2021-1-11_0-14-37.png

I think i remember this happening in the editor, i could be wrong, but when the 2015 BJCP styles were added, they were put into the drop down list separated from the old styles, with 2015 being the first half of the list and 2008/pre2015 being the 2nd half of the list, but now they're doubled up.

It's hard to tell, not sure where the data in the table is being pulled from is that your user data from recipes you've actually brewed, or pulled from one of our pages or something else entirely?

A brief glance makes it look like it's 2008 vs 2015. For example, cali common was 7B in 2008 bjcp, and is now 19B.

It's hard to tell, not sure where the data in the table is being pulled from is that your user data from recipes you've actually brewed, or pulled from one of our pages or something else entirely?

A brief glance makes it look like it's 2008 vs 2015. For example, cali common was 7B in 2008 bjcp, and is now 19B.

All the above data was from your Styles list on here under the Browse / Beer Styles menu.
The print out above is a subset of the only doubles I could find.

All the above data was from your Styles list on here under the Browse / Beer Styles menu.
The print out above is a subset of the only doubles I could find.
Gotcha. It looks like it's all 2008 bjcp vs 2015 bjcp, 10B was also american amber in 2008, and is now 19A.

When I go to https://www.brewersfriend.com/styles/, I see entries like this,

upload_2021-1-13_11-58-17.png

Is the (Pre 2015) not showing up on your end?

Gotcha. It looks like it's all 2008 bjcp vs 2015 bjcp, 10B was also american amber in 2008, and is now 19A.

When I go to https://www.brewersfriend.com/styles/, I see entries like this,

View attachment 13678

Is the (Pre 2015) not showing up on your end?

Yes you are right. I get that - though I stripped the brackets and dates out but I guess my question is .. why the difference? What happened in 2015 for somebody to say "Here, I don't agree with the old description. This one is better - but we will keep the old version in the list just to confuse everyone" Not you I mean BJCP. It's like Crufts saying last years poodle is an abomination - this one has only three legs. That's much better... I'll just have to accept the fact that there are two descriptions for the same beer. It complicates my software though

Yes you are right. I get that - though I stripped the brackets and dates out but I guess my question is .. why the difference? What happened in 2015 for somebody to say "Here, I don't agree with the old description. This one is better - but we will keep the old version in the list just to confuse everyone" Not you I mean BJCP. It's like Crufts saying last years poodle is an abomination - this one has only three legs. That's much better... I'll just have to accept the fact that there are two descriptions for the same beer. It complicates my software though

The BJCP revamps their style guidelines from time to time, because beer styles shift a bit and new ones emerge. In 2008, there definitely was no such thing as a New England IPA!

When I first became a beer judge, I memorized the style guidelines from that time. Then I learned the 2008 version, and then the 2015. As historical styles become in vogue again, and tastes change, the BJCP edits their style guidelines to be more current. We don't have control over the BJCP, but we do include the guidelines in our software. There really aren't two style names for each beer- they sometimes change categories or include other similar styles in the same group however.

Back