Quick Fermentation

bigdaddy0442

Trial Member
Reaction score
I started a batch of Kolsch two days ago and within 12 hours the airlock bubbler was going nuts. I just check on it today and it is though no action is going on.

Am I being paranoid or should I just be patient?

Thanks

Bigdaddy0442

I started a batch of Kolsch two days ago and within 12 hours the airlock bubbler was going nuts. I just check on it today and it is though no action is going on.

Am I being paranoid or should I just be patient?

Thanks

Bigdaddy0442
You could always check the gravity.
You can also look if krausen has.dropped.

Check the gravity. When it doesn't change for three days in a row, it's done.

p. s. I have one brewed yesterday. Fermenting at 18° C, the krauesen is nothing short of impressive, a good five inches of foam on top of the beer....

Watching football game right now. Will check gravity tomorrow if it doesn't bubble any more.

Thanks!

Watching football game right now. Will check gravity tomorrow if it doesn't bubble any more.

Thanks!
There is no need to rush the process, relax and give it a few days. The less often you open it up the less opportunity there is for nasty beer ruining bastards to get in there!

There is no need to rush the process, relax and give it a few days. The less often you open it up the less opportunity there is for nasty beer ruining bastards to get in there!
As a rule of thumb I pretty much leave every batch in the fermenter for 14 days. Most of my batches have probably been done in half that time. I'd rather give it more time than it probably needs though, be sure it's done and take 1 reading than take multiple readings and have less less beer to package

As my rule of thumb, I leave every batch to ferment for at least 21 days. Never a bad batch yet. You don’t need to use my rule of thumb, but be patient, and you should end up with good, drinkable beer.
Same goes for bottle conditioning. I've found that it's typically carbonated in a week but that it typically is still a little green. Better to let it condition for atleast 2 weeks. I've found with every batch that the best bottles are the last few that at that point are typically over 2 months removed from the brew date. I'm sure it might be even better in another month but I can't leave it that long:D

I opened a bottle this past weekend that was bottled on the preceding Monday, just to check carbonation. It wasn’t even close to proper carbonation after only 5 days, so the next won’t be opened for another week. The beer tasted good, and had great clarity, but it needs more time. Patience is usually rewarded.

Had the opposite. Opened a bottle after a week a couple days ago (was actually a half full bottle that's why I didn't want to leave it it) was fully carbed but definitely was tasting a little green. So it'll also be another week before I open another one. Although it'll be tough because I did a SMaSH using Citra for the first time and have to say I'm liking the grapefruit I'm getting from it

Taste it and check gravity. I don't bottle until it tastes right, BRIX is stable for 3 days, and usually give it a few more days. I don't usually go 21 days, but 13 to 18 is typical. Mine are mostly DME or partial grain.

Ok guys, I took a patience pill (couple of cold brews) and have now waited for 3 weeks in the fermenter. Plan on bottling within the next couple of days. All activity seems to have stopped and the clarity has greatly improved.

Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know how it taste in a couple of weeks.

Back