Partial Grain Batch Method

bigdaddy0442

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe for an all grain standard 5 gallon batch and want to scale it to 1 gallon. My question is can I mill all the grains for the 5 gallon batch and only use 1/5 of the combined milled weight for my small batch?

thanks in advance!

Bigdaddy0442

Is there more than one malt? Are they already mixed together?

I would suggest that you measure out each item for your 1 gallon batch and keep the rest separate. Once you blend them together you have no way of being sure that they are perfectly blended.

I would suggest that you measure out each item for your 1 gallon batch and keep the rest separate. Once you blend them together you have no way of being sure that they are perfectly blended.
+1 on this. Once milled there is no way to tell if the grains are blended properly. Any particular reason why you want to mill the the whole grain bill then only use 1/5 rather than just measure out for the 1 gallon batch to begin with?

I don't have problem measuring out the individual portions. I was just wondering if anyone had done it this way.

Thanks for your replies

Cheers, good luck!

You can certainly do that but be sure to not string out your time too long with your supplies especially the yeast! Keep things sanitary and sealed up exposing as little air as possible to the yeast and hops....you got 5 times to get it right! :D:D:D:D:D

Tell us how they come out!

Back