When (what styles) to use whirfloc

Weigh one, crumble it, then measure out 1/2, or 1/4 by weight in grams

Or just toss the whole thing in and don't worry about it.

So this begs the question, particularly for porters and other hard-to-see-through beers (and ignoring purposely cloudy beers like hefeweitzens): Does hazy beer taste different?

I use a half tablet in every 5 gal brew, with the exception of my Hefeweitzen.

Or just toss the whole thing in and don't worry about it.
I can't honestly say that I noticed a difference, but I went from using a whole tablet per 5 gallons to a half. The reason I did this was from previous discussions about the possible effect on beer pH.

So this begs the question, particularly for porters and other hard-to-see-through beers (and ignoring purposely cloudy beers like hefeweitzens): Does hazy beer taste different?

I use a half tablet in every 5 gal brew, with the exception of my Hefeweitzen.
From my experience with dark beers, I much prefer one that has been cleared/fined. The muddy look is not very appealing to me in a Porter or Stout. I think I mentioned it previously, but I still use whirlfloc in hazy beers. I prefer hazy over murky...

This a good subject for discussion.

Like some of the others, I use Irish Moss. It appears to reduce the amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle and help with clarity. Perhaps the Irish Moss helps the yeast stay put during transfer to the bottling bucket but these are just observations and I have not tried to quantify the difference.

Back