Secondary fermentation issue

Reaction score
Hi,
I just brewed a 50 litre batch of an Imperial stout that was split into 2 x25litres to add different flavourings in secondary. One has chilli & cacao nibs , the other salted caramel syrup. After 1 week in the secondary the SG of the chilli remained the same but the salted caramel has jumped from 1022 to 1065, understandable I guess as the sugar content has increased. Neither seem to have done any further fermentation (at least, no bubbles appearing) My question is when to bottle, do I add priming sugar to the caramel beer, I’m a bit worried about bottle bombs.
many thank

Chile (peppers I assume) and cacao nibs won't give the yeast anything to ferment so I would not expect any airlock activity or drop in gravity from that one. For the salted caramel syrup, my assumption is that it consists of some form of fermentable sugar (corn syrup, table sugar, etc.) So I'm sure there is some secondary fermentation going on in there, just not enough to push CO2 through the airlock. Unless you added a gallon of syrup, the high gravity reading post addition is due to the syrup not being mixed thoroughly into the beer. And, assuming you have a standard carboy or bucket fermenter, you really can't mix it in well without causing oxidation in the beer. I would say leave it for a week and take another reading then.

Hi,
I just brewed a 50 litre batch of an Imperial stout that was split into 2 x25litres to add different flavourings in secondary. One has chilli & cacao nibs , the other salted caramel syrup. After 1 week in the secondary the SG of the chilli remained the same but the salted caramel has jumped from 1022 to 1065, understandable I guess as the sugar content has increased. Neither seem to have done any further fermentation (at least, no bubbles appearing) My question is when to bottle, do I add priming sugar to the caramel beer, I’m a bit worried about bottle bombs.
many thank
How much of the syrup did you add? 25 liters * 43 points of gravity is a LOT of sugar to add to the beer! Are you sure it was thoroughly mixed before taking the reading?
Also, two potential problems I see that could stop fermentation, the first is the salt in the salted caramel. I don't know how much is in there but too much salt can adversely affect yeast. Also, did the syrup have preservatives? if so, that could have affected the fermentation as well.

Never thought about preservatives @Nosybear. Not sure what syrup the OP used so I just googled and found ingredients for Torani Salted Caramel Syrup.

PURE CANE SUGAR, WATER, NATURAL FLAVORS, SALT, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), CARAMEL COLOR.

Two different preservatives plus salt has to have an effect on fermentation.

Never thought about preservatives @Nosybear. Not sure what syrup the OP used so I just googled and found ingredients for Torani Salted Caramel Syrup.

PURE CANE SUGAR, WATER, NATURAL FLAVORS, SALT, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), CARAMEL COLOR.

Two different preservatives plus salt has to have an effect on fermentation.
It's the sorbate that could cause the problem.

Back