BIAB Full-Volume Water Requirements

Meatwad

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know BF has a water requirements calculator but it's based off of your equipment settings, which uses a mash thickness ratio to base total water requirements on. For full-volume BIAB users, this doesn't work since our mash thickness varies across different recipes (we would have to change it every batch). There are plenty of full-volume BIAB calculators out there but it would be nice to not have to go through different avenues.

What I'd like to see in this calculator is total water needed as a BIAB equipment profile based on:
  • fermenter batch size
  • grain absorption ((for both squeeze (.031 gal/lb) and no squeeze (0.045 gal/lb)) based on grist weight
  • hop absorption (.0365 gal/oz) based on hop weight
  • boil-off rate and boil length
  • kettle trub/deadspace loss
  • wort cooling shrinkage
In short, what I'm asking for is a simplified equipment for BIAB that takes out the mash thickness part and substitutes it with grain absorption for full-volume BIAB users.

As one of the creators of a fairly popular BIAB stand alone calculator, I know what you mean.

If you change the recipe type from "all grain" to BIAB, the mash thickness user setting is ignored for your mash steps.

All of the other values are already accounted for in the recipe builder.

We have a fairly sizable update pending to the mash guidelines as well that I hope will make this more intuitive and versatile for different brewing methods. More info can be found here, https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/upcoming-project-mash-guidelines.13535/

As far as a standalone calculator separate from the full recipe builder, I'm not sure if that's something we will be pursuing. However I am going to open a ticket to update the "mash" calculator and align it with the new recipe builder's mash guidelines once that's completed.

If you change the recipe type from "all grain" to BIAB, the mash thickness user setting is ignored for your mash steps.

Do you know which grain absorption value it bases the water requirement on?

Do you know which grain absorption value it bases the water requirement on?
Whatever the user has it set to in your equipment profile.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/equipment

upload_2020-12-9_17-14-23.png

Back