Strong Dark Belgian

The recipe is interesting - it'll be your process that makes or breaks this beer, specifically fermentation. Given the low IBUs, it will be sweet - attenuation can be a problem in big beers. Low attenuation in this one could result in cloying sweetness - how do you intend to make sure it ferments all the way through? I see you're using a Kveik strain - interested in how that turns out....

The recipe is interesting - it'll be your process that makes or breaks this beer, specifically fermentation. Given the low IBUs, it will be sweet - attenuation can be a problem in big beers. Low attenuation in this one could result in cloying sweetness - how do you intend to make sure it ferments all the way through? I see you're using a Kveik strain - interested in how that turns out....
I have some high alcohol tolerant saison yeast as a backup, normally the Kveik should be quite attenuative. I will keep you updated ;)

Might consider staggering when those simple sugars (candi sugar/syrup) are added. Feed the yeast in the primary over several days rather than all at once in the boil kettle. Some folks say that helps to attenuate so it isn't too sweet tasting with a high FG. I've done it once before, can't say that there was a difference as I never brewed that particular beer again. So I had nothing to compare it to.

Also, 18% simple sugar seems a bit high to me. But who knows, you might end up making the best beer you've ever tried.

Please follow up with how it ended up.

Might consider staggering when those simple sugars (candi sugar/syrup) are added. Feed the yeast in the primary over several days rather than all at once in the boil kettle. Some folks say that helps to attenuate so it isn't too sweet tasting with a high FG. I've done it once before, can't say that there was a difference as I never brewed that particular beer again. So I had nothing to compare it to.

Also, 18% simple sugar seems a bit high to me. But who knows, you might end up making the best beer you've ever tried.

Please follow up with how it ended up.
Hi,

I dorgot to put it in the recipe but the syrup is added in the fermenter.

Brewing tomorrow...

I make this sort of style quite often. I think everything looks pretty good. I have not used the kviek yeast. I usually use the Safale T-58 or BE-256 strains. Both have pretty high attenuation. I also like the Belgian sugar addition.

Back