Boil rate

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Under My Equipment, is there a way to have the boil rate as a percentage, instead of a static number? I suppose I could make a new equipment profile for each batch size that I typically do, and change the profile accordingly. Is there a simpler way to accomplish this? Thanks!!

We used to have it, but removed it because it’s not a good way to have the boil off measured. That’s because if you are using the same pot/equipment to make a 5 gallon batch and a 10 gallon batch, the % would definitely not be the same although the volume would.

What I mean is if you have a 15 gallon pot like I do, and do a 60 minute boil, I would boil off 1.5 gallons an hour whether I was making a 10 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch.

For the 5 gallon batch, that would be 30% but for a 10 gallon batch that would be 15%. So the volume remains static, but the percentage changes. For accuracy then, the static volume is used in the calculations for the boil off.

The boil off rate does vary according to humidity and the amount of heat supplied but it most cases it’s not really that big of a difference unless you’re brewing in the desert one day and brewing in S. Florida’s swamp another day.

We used to have it, but removed it because it’s not a good way to have the boil off measured. That’s because if you are using the same pot/equipment to make a 5 gallon batch and a 10 gallon batch, the % would definitely not be the same although the volume would.

What I mean is if you have a 15 gallon pot like I do, and do a 60 minute boil, I would boil off 1.5 gallons an hour whether I was making a 10 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch.

For the 5 gallon batch, that would be 30% but for a 10 gallon batch that would be 15%. So the volume remains static, but the percentage changes. For accuracy then, the static volume is used in the calculations for the boil off.

The boil off rate does vary according to humidity and the amount of heat supplied but it most cases it’s not really that big of a difference unless you’re brewing in the desert one day and brewing in S. Florida’s swamp another day.
Okay, thank you!

Back