ascorbic acid as antioxidant

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I have considered adding this at kegging but after some research it appears it can actually have the opposite effect as an antioxidant. Anyone have first hand experience using it?

So I have considered adding this at kegging but after some research it appears it can actually have the opposite effect as an antioxidant. Anyone have first hand experience using it?
No but like you, I've read it's not a good thing.

I've been playing with sodium metabisulphite for kegging, 1/8th of a tsp seems to be the recommended amount. I have a ton of the stuff from my wife and mom attempts at wine making so might as well use it.

Guess I will omit it tonight while kegging. Thanks for all the feedback!

Guess I will omit it tonight while kegging. Thanks for all the feedback!
I've been thinking of using some the boys from Genius brewing I'm sure put it in at the end of the boil.
I've used sodium metabysulphate at kegging in a hoppy blond no negative effects but I cant say if any difference was made without a side by side.
But brulosophy I'm sure found some significant results using potassium metabisulfite.

The only reason meta isn't used in beer is labeling and some people's sensitivity. It's common in wine as an antioxidant.

I feel left out! What exactly are we talking about here? Adding things to fight oxidization? Similar to Brewtan-b?

I feel left out! What exactly are we talking about here? Adding things to fight oxidization? Similar to Brewtan-b?
It started with ascorbic acid - antioxidants in beer. I haven't needed them so haven't explored the topic.

The goal of the original post was to see if anyone has had any luck using ascorbic acid as an antioxidant in beer. Some people seem to say it works while more current research shows it should not be added alone because it can actually have the opposite effect. I know the LODO guys push their recommended blend including brewtan B and whatever else.

I just picked some up and was wondering if I should try it. Decided to omit it. Carry one with wherever you like to go.

I have looked at Brewtan-B before and I've heard chatter about improved shelf life. That's what I'd consider using it for.

I know the LODO guys push their recommended blend including brewtan B and whatever else.
It's used in the mash along with brewtan (gallotannins) and sodium/potassium metabisulfite. I'm not sure how effect ascorbic acid is in the mash because it de-natures above 140F. It's not used in post fermentation. It looks like potassium/sodium metabisulfite is the most effective anti-oxidant. It seems ascorbic acid can act as as both. I read somewhere that it works best with used in conjunction with SMB, but I can't find it anymore. I used SMB a couple times, but I didn't notice any difference.

I have looked at Brewtan-B before and I've heard chatter about improved shelf life. That's what I'd consider using it for.
I use Brewtan-B in my light beers. Can't say that I have better shelf life from it, it'll take a while for me to say either way.

I know the LODO guys push their recommended blend including brewtan B and whatever else.

I think the word push is a bit strong, but none the less.

This blend is based off the commercial blend of Antioxin SBT:
https://www.aeb-group.com/us/antioxin-sbt-4011
45% AA
45% Kmeta
10% Gallotannins

AA when used with so2(sulfur dioxide), is less likely to be a super oxidizer. Meta produces so2, so hence the reason for the blend.

AA on its own has a high potential for super oxidation.

Gallotannins (BTB) are not antioxidants. They bind and chelate(help drop in trub) heavy metals which can lead to fenton reactions, but its not an antioxidant.

Resources:
https://www.themodernbrewhouse.com/list-of-brewing-references/

I've been playing with SMB largely because I brew more than I can drink and I occasionally have kegs sit for months before i get around to drinking them. Can't say if it works or not because I never really have oxidization issues that I can identify anyway.

The only reason meta isn't used in beer is labeling and some people's sensitivity. It's common in wine as an antioxidant.
My wife seems to be sensitive to it, so not something I see as worth it for a probably small effect in some hoppy beers.

The super funny/ironic thing about sulfites and brewing is that Ale and Lager fermentations generate their own sulfites. So there IS already sulfites in beer, along with numerous (fermented, non fermented) foods as well. Ales are generally lower <5ppm, but lager fermentation can generate up 50ppm.

The super funny/ironic thing about sulfites and brewing is that Ale and Lager fermentations generate their own sulfites. So there IS already sulfites in beer, along with numerous (fermented, non fermented) foods as well. Ales are generally lower <5ppm, but lager fermentation can generate up 50ppm.
Yeah, turns out people generally are only sensitive to "added" sulfites...

Back