How to log DME additions for pre-boil gravity correction

Brewer #317973

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When I am doing BIAB, my gravity and efficiency varies batch to batch, so I often find myself adding DME after my mash is complete to hit my pre-boil gravity. Is there a way to track this in the Brew Day feature? Should I just edit the snapshot and modify the recipe to include the DME addition. I'd like to track my mash efficiency so I can include more grain in my mash to make up for the efficiency difference, but I am finding this difficult when accounting for DME additions.

Thank you!

Hello,

When I am doing BIAB, my gravity and efficiency varies batch to batch, so I often find myself adding DME after my mash is complete to hit my pre-boil gravity. Is there a way to track this in the Brew Day feature? Should I just edit the snapshot and modify the recipe to include the DME addition. I'd like to track my mash efficiency so I can include more grain in my mash to make up for the efficiency difference, but I am finding this difficult when accounting for DME additions.

Thank you!
I'd go with the "edit the snapshot" idea. Then take a look at the base recipe to see what might be causing the issue. One problem with editing the snapshot, even ading DME, it makes the efficiency calculations wonky. I don't worry too much about it - at our scale a couple points of efficiency equates to a handful of grain.

Back