s-04 monster fermentation

weldedsord

Premium Member
Reaction score
hey dudes I brewed an imperial stout with s-04 on friday and boy did it ferment. I checked it on saturday and the blowoff tube sounded motorized and could hear the bubbling a few rooms away and I checked on it today (sunday) and could not hear anything so I checked my fermenting fridge and there was no indication of fermentation i checked the gravity with my hydrometer and it was at final gravity. I was amazed i've used s-04 many times before and it took 5-6 days before hitting final gravity in lower gravity beers and everything tastes right no infection I could tell i'm just amazed. I've used kviek and it was not that fast to be fair i used 3 packets for 5 gallons with 1.090 but wow

I've used kviek and it was not that fast to be fair i used 3 packets for 5 gallons with 1.090 but wow
S04 can ferment nearly as fast a Kviek without the tartness that comes from Voss Kviek yeast and at a lower temperature. You used 3 packs in 5 gallons @ 1.090 which is an overpitch, so that would explain the speed. The overpitch will reduce the fruitiness, but the overall beer should be very good. I personally try to overpitch on big beers to keep the high alcohols in check.

Back