Milled grain shelf life

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm know this has been answered but I'm wondering if I should throw out a couple pounds of milled steeping grains from my last extract batch before I switched to BIAB. I figured I'd get back around to it by now but the reality I've found is with 5 gallon batches I'm not brewing super frequently because I can't really justify brewing it that much faster than I can drink it. I'm slowly increasing the amount I give away with each new batch as they improve but for now I'm on about a 1 brew a month pace.
The grains I have are about 10 ounces of chocolate malt and just under a pound of Carafa III. They are in Ziploc bags and then wrapped in plastic wrap but not vacuum sealed or anything. It's been about 2 and a half months since I got them and it'll probably be about 3 months before I use any of it. My next brew is another batch of my SMaSH Blonde next week when my dad is in town (should be an interesting brew day) and then I'm planning a Citra blonde. Not super interested in changing up that schedule. Anyways sorry for the mega-post. The question is basically if the milled grains are going to be almost 6 months old by the time I use them should I just pitch them now?

Also worth noting I won't be buying pre-milled grain anymore. Just finished putting together my mill assembly. Just need to attach some kind of spray shield but I have material for that.
IMG_20201106_221101__01.jpg

Interesting. I can't answer your question, but I wonder if freezing (or refrigerating) the grain would make it last 3, 6 or 9 months.

I wouldn't toss them, they seem to lose some efficiency over time but based on what they did at Brulosophy you can use old milled grain without to much worry.

I wouldn't toss them, they seem to lose some efficiency over time but based on what they did at Brulosophy you can use old milled grain without to much worry.
So basically what you're saying is since they're adjuncts you wouldn't worry about it?
Would you take the same approach with base malts?

http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/29/the-impact-of-age-on-crushed-malt-exbeeriment-results/

I would, I don't worry to much. I mill my own though. The lady who does the education stuff for my local brewing group apparently throws away her unmilled grains if they go over 3 months old, which is insane.
I'm almost at the 3 month mark now. Now that I have my mill assembly up and running I really don't plan on ever having more milled than what I need right away so hopefully won't be too much of an issue

I'd be shocked it if was an issue. Grain sits for years in graineries before being used or sold.

So if you're doubtful you'll use your crushed grains within the next 5 months or so and you're concerned about it's possible quality, I'd say pitch it. Less than $4 of grain isn't worth worrying about possibly affecting the quality of your future batch.
I've made a batch or two with entire grain bills that have been crushed for 5 months and made good beer. Wasn't my best but certainly not my worst. A little bit of carafa and crystal are easily replaceable, but if waste is a big concern, then use it.

So if you're doubtful you'll use your crushed grains within the next 5 months or so and you're concerned about it's possible quality, I'd say pitch it. Less than $4 of grain isn't worth worrying about possibly affecting the quality of your future batch.
I've made a batch or two with entire grain bills that have been crushed for 5 months and made good beer. Wasn't my best but certainly not my worst. A little bit of carafa and crystal are easily replaceable, but if waste is a big concern, then use it.
That's where I'm torn. I hate waste but yeah the cost is so low and I care about the quality

That's where I'm torn. I hate waste but yeah the cost is so low and I care about the quality
Such a small amount, wrap them up tight or vacuum seal if you can and put them in your freezer.
Run them through your new mill for practice.
Make a strong tea and add a shot of whiskey...kinda like a scotchie.

If stored cool and wrapped relatively airtight, a year shouldn’t be a problem. There’s not a whole lot in the malts that can go stale or rancid.

Probably doesn't help with your question but just made a Rye saison with around 4kg of Rye malt thats over a year old. (Bit of a bastard brew) Kept it in a tub for distilling with but never used it.
Chucked a brew on and Kegged a few days ago. Its actually spot on, surprisingly.

Probably doesn't help with your question but just made a Rye saison with around 4kg of Rye malt thats over a year old. (Bit of a bastard brew) Kept it in a tub for distilling with but never used it.
Chucked a brew on and Kegged a few days ago. Its actually spot on, surprisingly.
Was it pre-milled though?

Also I decided to just use some of it in my porter I have coming up (main reason I planned a porter) and just see how it comes out. Working on getting a set of storage bins for my unmilled grains. So far though I think the mill is one of the better investments I've made. Can't imagine doing BIAB without one.

It was. Got 5kg of Rye fine crush the other year then forgot about it. Probably 15 months or so.
Chucked a bit in a few pales then did a 90% ish Rye saison with the rest.
Tastes great.

So, standard brewing answer #1: It depends. Is it sealed away from air? If yes, it will store indefinitely as long as it was dry when sealed. Is it humid? In so, storage time is less unless you can package it with a dessicant. Is the grain fresh and crisp? If not, send it back to the homebrew shop.

Just thinking:
If it is just the throwing out of the grains that worry you (I am the same. Hate waste) then why not try using them in baking bread?

Back