October Updates (10-8 to 10-14)

Pricelessbrewing

BF Software Manager
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
We always post our changelog in our "learn" pages automatically: https://docs.brewersfriend.com/changelog. In case you may have noticed some new features, this list will show you the entire changelog:

Sorry everyone, missed a couple updates to the forum.

2020-10-14

Added

2020-10-13

Added

• General Settings - Brew Sessions - Added option to create 10 minute reminder additions for brew steps.
2020-10-08

Fixed
  • Recipe Builder - Updated the Quick Water Requirements for more accurate losses such as grain absorption, steeping losses etc especially for extract and partial mash.
Added

• Recipe Builder - Rearranged the Quick Water Requirements Step order to be in chronological order, highlighted the "target" batch size.

• My Inventory - Added CSV Import and Export feature.
  • Brew Sessions - Added fermentation chart as default if there is an active device.

Previously the Import/export was restricted to pro customers with groups, but it has now been added to personal inventories and premium and above members. You can see options to import, export, and download a template to see the full structure of the import/export files. Moreover we've expanded this feature to support all ingredient properties in the extended option which we will use going forward to partner with ingredient suppliers in order to better maintain our database, and update their catalog as a digital offer.

upload_2020-10-19_17-6-10.png

Who's the one here that import/exports via text, is that @AHarper? This might be of interest.

Hi Priceless, Yes the Export function worked a treat - with one observation.

When exporting a Currency symbol or a temperature degree symbol an extra character (CHR 0194) is included before the symbol.
Not a great problem as Excel can search and delete it but it may be a simple fix.

Example shown below.

upload_2020-10-20_11-50-15.png

I have just noticed that it also affects the Trade Mark symbol [TM] but in this case it is a lower case a with circumflex (CHR 0226) followed by two commas and CHR 0162. Strange sequence....

upload_2020-10-20_11-57-45.png

From the original in Inventory page.
upload_2020-10-20_11-51-30.png

Another problem has been discovered.
When exporting the OTHERS data set the column Type is not exported. There is already a column in the output data called Type - it is the first field for all all of the export data sets - so the Type data for OTHERS that defined the Water Agent / Fining / Flavour etc. should have another title - maybe Type2 or Function might do.
upload_2020-10-23_2-7-6.png

@AHarper we have an update coming for this soon. I've approved it, however I am unable to reproduce the character import/export issue so that may still be occuring.

@AHarper we have an update coming for this soon. I've approved it, however I am unable to reproduce the character import/export issue so that may still be occuring.

After extensive inspection I have found the "rogue" characters are a function of Excel importing the data and adding in the spurious characters. It is NOT a function of the export from BF.
To get the degree symbol for a temperature I had typed Alt+0176 - which inserted the symbol before the C in the field.
When you look at the Exported .CSV file the degree symbol is where it looks on the screen as shown in a view of the exported file opened in Notepad.
upload_2020-11-8_22-33-8.png

Once the same file is imported into Excel the extra characters are added before the degree symbol.
upload_2020-11-8_22-45-14.png

The extra character is a CHR 194 - why this is inserted I have no idea.

Nice investigation! Glad to see the export is working. If that sheet is something you're going to continue, I'd recommend adding a routine to replace all of that character with the proper symbol after importing, or adding a macro button to do so

Nice investigation! Glad to see the export is working. If that sheet is something you're going to continue, I'd recommend adding a routine to replace all of that character with the proper symbol after importing, or adding a macro button to do so

Yes no worries. I do a complete check on all imports and do a lot of substitution using the Replace function in Excel. It is actually quite fun to do when I get my head around it all - got to do something to keep mentally active now we are in Lockdown with this fake virus crap.
The application must be getting close to being flawless now with all the work you have done. Great job. By the way I discovered your web site a couple of days ago - you are a busy boy.

What's this website Harper speaks of @Pricelessbrewing (beer related hic).
Give my name a quick google and it'll pop up. I haven't written anything there in a long time, or updated my Biab Calc, but the mash functionality is the basis of the new direction for the mash guidelines to make things easy to use, smart, and intuitive. I also have a popular efficiency article on my site somewhere that will be very similar to an article I'm writing here that'll get posted sometime soon-ish.

Yes no worries. I do a complete check on all imports and do a lot of substitution using the Replace function in Excel. It is actually quite fun to do when I get my head around it all - got to do something to keep mentally active now we are in Lockdown with this fake virus crap.
The application must be getting close to being flawless now with all the work you have done. Great job. By the way I discovered your web site a couple of days ago - you are a busy boy.
Thanks, it's not just me, but I appreciate the kind words. There's always more to do!

Between my full time job, my hobbies, and working for BF, I've definitely stayed busy this past year that's for sure!

@AHarper The "other" update patch has been released, let us know if you're still having issues!

@AHarper The "other" update patch has been released, let us know if you're still having issues!
The Other Type field export works fine. Thank you very much.
I still have issues trying to edit my Amber into Amber Malt. Despite editing the field and saving the edit - as described in earlier report - the edit remains unaltered from the "default" entry grabbed from the main database of Fermentables - the dreaded "Amber" entry.
Have fun.

Back