Lazy Hazy IPA

Semper Sitientem

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, My wife asked me to brew a hazy/NE IPA. I only brew one IPA of the traditional high IBU variety. So, instead of researching myself (I’m the “lazy “ in this thread title), I was wondering if anyone had a good, proven, all grain recipe they could share? Thanks.

^ Best video I've seen on them. I watch these guys all the time, and really enjoy their relaxed, yet accurate, style

Thanks @CausticWolf. Looks like a good recipe to base off of. I’m sure I can’t get all the hops listed from my LHBS, but I can do a little substituting.

Yeah, they're a Brewery here in Gold Coast Queensland, they get all the goodies that we can't get :(

I like their hop scheduling, and their grain builds though.

here's a few recipes I've brewed.
recipe#1
37.7% Golden Promise
37.7% 2 Row
7.6% Flaked Barley
7.6% Flaked oats
7.6% White Wheat
1.9% Honey Malt
Hops you could go with Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic or Citra, El Dorado, Azacca
yeast: 1318, conan, Kveik, S04 (dry yeast)

Recipe#2
66% Pale malt
16% Flaked Oats
8% Malted Oats
6% Golden naked oats
4% Carapils
Same hops/yeast as recipe #1 or 3

Recipe#3
35.1% Pale Malt
35.1% Pilsner Malt
8.3% Carapils
6.2% Flaked Oats
6.2% Flaked Wheat
6.2% white wheat
Hops: Citra/El Dorado/Mosaic
yeast 1318 or Conan or S04

So this is how I get to try out some Black Hops beers while I'm locked out of Queensland? I'm surprised how many recipes they've got shared.

Hahahaha, it sure is!!!! I'm in Sydney, so we're locked out as well.

Hopefully, now that the election is over up there they'll ease up a bit.

Here is a great ar
This is probably my favourite Hazy at the moment

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/976012/goat-hazy-ipa-23l

Keep in mind, a majority of a beer having haze is how you ferment. Don't go over 5 days. Make a yeast starter to keep it in that window. Even the major breweries lose haze off of shelf life.
I am curious about the Crystal Malt in this recipe?
It is such a small amount, what is it's purpose in this recipe?
I like the heavy hand on the dry hop additions!

Hello fellow brewers, My wife asked me to brew a hazy/NE IPA. I only brew one IPA of the traditional high IBU variety. So, instead of researching myself (I’m the “lazy “ in this thread title), I was wondering if anyone had a good, proven, all grain recipe they could share? Thanks.
Here is a great article on making a NEIPA.
https://homebrewanswers.com/hazy-ipa-recipe/
The haze was an unintended byproduct of creating the NEIPA flavor, mouth feel, and aroma of this style.
When I make NEIPA I cut back to a 30 minute boil. Technically there should be no boil hop additions, but I do add a we smidge of Citra at 30 minutes.

Here is the NEIPA that has been the most popular for me.
The two advantages of using VOSS Kveik are the speed of fermentation, and the fruity character it adds.
I use RO water, if you are not using RO or distilled, you will need to revise the brewing salts.

COVID Operation - Milkshake NEIPA
Malts (6.38 kg)
3.76 kg (53.2%) — Briess Brewers Malt 2-Row — Grain — 1.8 SRM
1.08 kg (15.3%) — BestMalz Wheat Malt — Grain — 2.4 SRM
540 g (7.6%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.4 SRM
540 g (7.6%) — Wheat Flaked — Grain — 2 SRM
260 g (3.7%) — Briess Victory Malt (biscuit) — Grain — 28 SRM
200 g (2.8%) — Weyermann Acidulated — Grain — 2 SRM
Other (684 g)
494 g (7%) — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 SRM
190 g (2.7%) — Milk Sugar (Lactose) — Sugar — 0 SRM
Hops (306.1 g)
8.5 g (8 IBU) — Citra 12.5% — Boil — 30 min
56.7 g (10 IBU) — Mosaic 12.25% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 180F
42.5 g (8 IBU) — Citra 12.5% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 180F
28.3 g — Citra 12.5% — Dry Hop — day 1
28.3 g — Simcoe 13% — Dry Hop — day 1
14.2 g — Amarillo 9.2% — Dry Hop — day 1
14.2 g — Cascade 5.5% — Dry Hop — day 1
56.7 g — Citra 12.5% — Dry Hop — day 2
56.7 g — Mosaic 12.25% — Dry Hop — day 2
Miscs
8 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
0.5 g — Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash
1 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
2 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
0.5 items — Whirlfloc — Boil — 15 min
1 oz — Dried Tangerine Peel — Boil — 5 min
4 ml — Vanilla Extract — Secondary
Yeast
1 pkg — Escarpment Yeast Labs Voss Kveik 75%

Fermentation
Primary — 29.4 °C — 5
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Water Profile
Ca2+ 86
Mg2+ 3
Na+ 21
Cl- 148
SO42- 50
HCO3- 16

Here is a great ar

I am curious about the Crystal Malt in this recipe?
It is such a small amount, what is it's purpose in this recipe?
I like the heavy hand on the dry hop additions!
I thought the same thing. I like a bit of sweetness when a boat load of hops are involved.

@Craigerrr I think they're using it to bring about a bit of sweetness, it compliments their use of the dry hop additions, the beer is VERY smashable.

My own preference is to stay away from any crystal malts for the most part, I prefer a solid malt backbone as opposed to a sweet one. I've been working on SMaSH's only, and I want to start trying Red Back or Vienna to get my color and depth.

@Craigerrr I think they're using it to bring about a bit of sweetness, it compliments their use of the dry hop additions, the beer is VERY smashable.

My own preference is to stay away from any crystal malts for the most part, I prefer a solid malt backbone as opposed to a sweet one. I've been working on SMaSH's only, and I want to start trying Red Back or Vienna to get my color and depth.
I looked up clone recipes for Three Floydds Zombie Dust, they typically have a smackeral of C60 in them.

I'm pretty sure Redback malt is a crystal malt...

Pretty sure my buds at Genus Brewing use Red Back as a Crystal substitute. Gladfield says it is a crystal, but less modified.

From Gladfields site
Red back – A less modified crystal malt with a beautiful red colour. This also brings in some lighter malty and sweet flavours along with enhanced body and head retention. Use up to 20%

From Gladfields site
Red back – A less modified crystal malt with a beautiful red colour. This also brings in some lighter malty and sweet flavours along with enhanced body and head retention. Use up to 20%

Yeah, I agreed with man!

I don't know what red back is, but if you want to add some color without the cloying sweetness, Redx is a great malt and can even be used as a basemalt.
Personally, I like using crystal malts in my ipa's and think they belong there, but that's just personal opinion.

Back