Reiterated mashing - worth the effort?

Mark Farrall

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go for a bigger number than I usually do for my imperial stouts. While I've probably got the capacity to do my normal batch size or a little bit smaller I was wondering whether reiterated mashing would make it less of a chore.

Anyone tried this method? Does it make the mash more predictable and easier to hit the numbers, or is it just something you'd only use if your mash vessel didn't have the capacity and you weren't prepared to compromise the batch size?

For reference: https://beerandwinejournal.com/reiterated-mashing-1/

Last edited:
Nope havnt tried it but just another thought you couldnt boil for longer and boil down to a higher gravity? I get about 5 - 6 points and hour so something like a two hour boil would give me a good bump in gravity and I'm on the lower rate of boil off...

This looks like it would work. I experimented with a similar method using a "2-stage mash" on a higher gravity beer. I ran a normal mash for 45 minutes, drained the first running, added more water and allowed another 30 minutes of mashing. I ended up with a bit higher efficiency than previous attempts.

However, I was probably at a good bit lower gravity than what you are looking for with an imperial. My initial inclination would be to mash the crystal and other added grains with some of the base malt at a gravity that I had good confidence and then make up the remaining gravity with extract. This would be a way to more confidently hit the target OG number and not affect the character of the final product.

Let us know how this turns out.

Never done it, but seems like it would work. Does seem like a lot of extra work though.

When I have a big beer to brew, I typically squeeze the bag, and sparge after that and squeeze the bag again before a very long boil. How long of a boil? Well, I have a RIS with an OG of 1.144 that takes around 3 hours to boil down. Typically want that extra maillard reaction in big dark beers anyways. Plus, I don't have to mess with mashing and buying extra grain.

However, if you are going for a lighter beer, I could totally see this as being a benefit. Just like the article says.

Let us know how it works if you end up trying it out.

I've read about it as an historical process. It should work, I just have no idea what efficiency you can expect from it.

Thanks for the feedback.

The recipe's in the queue. Hopefully when I get around to it I'll remember to update this thread. Should be simple to adjust the boil length based on whatever I get (the recipe calls for three hours anyway). I'll probably do base grain and crystal in the first mash and base grain and the roasted malts in the second.

Thanks for the feedback.

The recipe's in the queue. Hopefully when I get around to it I'll remember to update this thread. Should be simple to adjust the boil length based on whatever I get (the recipe calls for three hours anyway). I'll probably do base grain and crystal in the first mash and base grain and the roasted malts in the second.
Another idea is boiling maybe 3lt of water in separate pot on the side and boiling it down to a syrup and adding that back as well...

Another idea is boiling maybe 3lt of water in separate pot on the side and boiling it down to a syrup and adding that back as well...
I'll do that if I end up with bigger numbers than expected. Don't want to dilute it down and end up with shed loads of it.

I'll do that if I end up with bigger numbers than expected. Don't want to dilute it down and end up with shed loads of it.
Ah dam I meant wort. I've done it before with a porter it creates them mallard reactions

Back