Hulls - What are they exactly?

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
By that I mean what are they considered to be - as far as the Ingredients list is concerned?

I know how they are to be used - well I think I do - used in the mash to aid Lautering but what category are they listed or supposed to be listed under.
Well I can sort of answer that with these two entries:
upload_2020-10-27_17-23-36.png

or
upload_2020-10-27_17-23-57.png

But which one is correct? Is it to be considered as a Fermentable? Why? There is no diastolic power and the system knows this from here:
upload_2020-10-27_17-26-51.png

This is what you get when you try and add some to your Inventory - if you select a Fermentable of course.

Over to you @Pricelessbrewing

They're a "fermentable" for purposes of calculating strike temperature - you have to heat them just as much as you have to heat the grain. They have no extract nor diastatic power so that's reflected above in the ppg, diastatic and lovibond values for the ingredient. Don't know why they're not adding to the inventory....

They are 'air' and contribute nothing but that - free space to help with keeping the mash from becoming so compact that flow is stopped.

I have them entered in my grist when I use them. I believe they just account for a bit of extra heat loss, and a wee bit of water absorption.

I think my point is being missed here. I know what they are and how to use them and why but my question is how the system sees them? They seem to be considered in different catagories. Of course, it may not matter but I was just making an observation.

I have very old eyes (but a large monitor), and I can't see what we're looking at. Can you give me a link or tell me the names of the listed ingredient (the ones that I can enter and look at), and the problem? I can see 0 for the info, but that's all I see.

I have very old eyes (but a large monitor), and I can't see what we're looking at. Can you give me a link or tell me the names of the listed ingredient (the ones that I can enter and look at), and the problem? I can see 0 for the info, but that's all I see.

Hi Yooper,
The ingredients are Rice Hulls and Oat Hulls. If you browse the Fermentables section and search for Hulls they are listed there. If you also browse the Other INgredients section for the same Hulls they are listed there also. Should they be in BOTH sections? How should they be handled within the system - I know how to use them - as it all comes down to my Export use....
For the sake of your eyes here are the details enlarged...
Click on them to expand. Stand well back.
upload_2020-10-28_14-51-12.png

upload_2020-10-28_14-51-50.png

I cleaned up some of the hulls in the database, but missed those in "other". I'll fix those too.

@AHarper @Yooper

They should be included in fermentables, but due to a quirk of the previous system for "other" ingredients, popular ingredients that were not included in the BF catalog are shown in the browse/other pages. Now that we have a system in place to monitor and add new popular/trending ingredients, this should be removed. We've created a ticket to do so, which should cleanup the browse page a great deal.

Back