Help me ID this off flavor

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Alright I have a batch of Scottish 80 shilling I’ve been drinking on for a bit. There is a slight off flavor that I don’t really notice too much after a sip or two. I didn’t know how to explain it, now I do. I opened a bottle of bbq sauce. There is a similar scent.....What is it?

Acetaldehyde Is the closest from that link. Maybe but it was finished fermenting and got 2-3 weeks in a bottle. That was the last batch in which I used campden treated tap water so hopefully I don’t have it again. I did ferment this one colder than I usually do with that yeast. Low 60’s using S-04

Last edited:
I got 7 more I think. I mean it didn’t stop me form drinking 5-6 of them :)
That a boy! You ferment in plastic bucket? Any threaded bits where the beer touches give them a bit of attention next run.

But like you already pointed at maybe the S04 was fermented a little cool and stressed your yeast a bit.
Ah the questions that run through ones mind when off flavours arise in the brewhouse!

This was fermented in a small big mouth bubbler. Think it’s possible I didn’t clean well enough around the spigot before dumping In the wort? It had that taste out of the fermenter when I sampled it.

It would be the easiest thing to correct for.

This was fermented in a small big mouth bubbler. Think it’s possible I didn’t clean well enough around the spigot before dumping In the wort? It had that taste out of the fermenter when I sampled it.
Ah that's good then. I used to ferment in a bucket and transfer via tap (spigot) through silicon hose into keg I sware them taps are good for a few brews only and are infection prone ( unless you can take them apart ).

But I think because it tasted like that in fermentor you can rule out dirty transfer hose or spigot.
It must be a yeast thing I read 4th generation yes?
Than you might want to look at your yeast handling storage process?

Second generation. I typically brew with half a pack then save that slurry to use 1 time and it usually will do more batches. The other batches with the slurry for. That jar were fine. Very well could be some bugs got in there since it was I. The fridge a while and there is still the possibility of something around the spigot I didn’t get cleaned well. I’ll be more careful with yeast and that spigot.

The yeast I'd not worry to much about unless you had sloppy practices, I've got yeast 8 generations old that finishes out fine. I just hot water rinse and then star san the mason jars.

I find things like this just re iterate the importance of a solid cleaning sanitation routine and can only help in making us better brewers.
Seeing your willing to post this on the forum Josh says to me you'll go along way with this brewing thing;) were always learning and never stop.

I'd for sure be removing that spigot after every brew and paying it some extra attention. Mine stays out of my big mouth bubbler till I use it next and even then, it gets another sanitation round.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of s-04. I get fruity/estery flavors that I just don't care for and no matter what temps I have tried fermenting at, is just off putting to me. Might not be the case with you, but some flavors are characteristics of the yeast, I and know s-04 doesn't do well with temp fluctuations during fermentation. Especially if things warm up at all. If I even get it around 65f and a bit above, it's no bueno for me. I get really fruity/apple cidery type flavors.

Is it vinegar, or is it more "soy sauce"? A hint of soy sauce is more of an oxidation cause, especially in darker malts. I also get a little metallic note in oxidized darker beers (like an ESB).

53B67CB3-4269-43AA-895E-E03E2F76ADAB.jpeg
Neither really. Just opened one to get a taste. Still has “something” but this bottle isn’t as pronounced.... maybe burnt sugar or something? View attachment 12640

Back