SMaSH 2-Row Barleywine...

Tuttle-1635

Trial Member
Reaction score
Any advise or adjustments are welcome. I am trying to see if this is something that will work.
17lbs 2-row mashed 60 min
4oz cascade at beginning of 60 min boil
ill have a yeast starter to pitch from WLP007
2lbs raisons for secondary
1lb honey for initial fermentation

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1067664/smash-2-row-barleywine

Im planning on pulling about 3 gallons parti-gyle and maybe keeping some of the yeast from the first batch back or waking up some wyeast3787 from the fridge.

Is the 3 gallons you're talking about going to another beer, or being added into the main beer as some sort of krausening approach?

Otherwise I can't see anything that jumps out. Bit more hops maybe? Though with the raisins it's sounding like a barleywine on the English side with the sweeter more, caramel finish, which probably wouldn't appreciate more hops.

Is the 3 gallons you're talking about going to another beer, or being added into the main beer as some sort of krausening approach?

Otherwise I can't see anything that jumps out. Bit more hops maybe? Though with the raisins it's sounding like a barleywine on the English side with the sweeter more, caramel finish, which probably wouldn't appreciate more hops.

The 3 gallons would be a second beer from the second runnings. Maybe ill do 3oz at the beginning of boil and 3oz halfway through. I definitely don't want to overdue hops.

New questions came up over the weekend as I approach brew day. Should I boil down the raisons or leave them as is before I add them to the secondary?

Actually hadn't thought of that. There's a decent chance the raisins will be covered in bugs or something to kill the bugs. So good rinse in cold water, then boiling them in a bag for a few minutes and adding the bag and the boiled water (if it looks like it has a decent amount of flavour) is a good step.

I wouldn't change the hops. It's more me thinking about the barleywine I'd make, yours is a different beast and sounds interesting.

Also you probably won't get much honey flavour from that late addition. It'll pretty much ferment out. I think people get better honey flavour using honey malt than actual honey.

Poor mans yeast nutrient boiled raisins so thatll help that beefy barleywine attenutation.

Back