water volumes different on brew and quick water requirements?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
1.png
1.png
2.jpg
3.png
4.png
6.png
1.png
2.jpg
3.png
4.png
6.png
Hi guys im busy with a recipe but the quick water requirements and the brew function are giving different water calculations?

am i missing something with the brew function,?
cause the quick water requirements make sense with the water mash and expected pre boil volume,but Hi guys im busy with a recipe but the quick water requirements and the brew function are giving different water calculations?

am i missing something with the brew function,?
cause the quick water requirements make sense with the water mash and expected pre boil volume,but when i presss the "brew" then it comes low on my expected preboil volume.
and volumes dont add up
recipe:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1065462
thanks guys,dont worry avout the ibu,still tweaking thatwhen i "brew" then it comes low on my expected preboil volume.
recipe:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1065462
thanks guys,dont worry avout the ibu,still tweaking that

Last edited:
So sorry,was trying to put the text message first

We are revamping the mash guidelines now, and that should fix this issue where the quick water requirements don’t match the amount of water actually required and used. @Pricelessbrewing is testing and working on this now, and we’ll keep you posted!

We are revamping the mash guidelines now, and that should fix this issue where the quick water requirements don’t match the amount of water actually required and used. @Pricelessbrewing is testing and working on this now, and we’ll keep you posted!
Just experienced a similar failure, my Altbier hit the numbers exactly, just a half gallon shy of the expected volume. This seems to happen when I edit a recipe .

To expand a bit, this isn't new.

The quick water requirements have often been used for things where the recipe volumes and equipment should be. Going forward, the QWR will only be used when information is missing. If there is no mash steps in the recipe for example, then the QWR will be used, otherwise the mash steps from the actual recipe will be used.

This has two consequences,

1) More consistent and accurate information. The QWR are really a starting point, or draft, useful for general guidelines. Since it uses your equipment profile, if you always mash at 1.75 qt/lb for example than it's probably fine. However if you vary your mash process, and parameters for different recipes, well then your brew sessions and brew steps don't line up properly.

2) You won't be able to pull up a random recipe, and click "brew" and get your brew steps without changing the recipe to fit your equipment. IMO you really should be adjusting any recipe you find and not just following their steps/volumes/temps, everyones equipment is different and so everyones brew steps should be different.

I do a lot of no sparge batches and the water requirements are always janky to some degree or another. I just take the total number and it generally works pretty good.

Back