Looking for feedback on a hoppy porter recipe

Dukeoprunz

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm designing a recipe that's meant to be something between a hoppy porter and a black IPA and wanted to mix it up a bit. I haven't used rye before but understand it might add a bit of a peppery note which would an interesting element, and was also intrigued by the idea of blackcurrant notes from Bramling Cross.

Here's what I was picking and would love thoughts on whether it makes sense:

5.5 gal batch size

Grain bill
- 9.5 lb Pale Ale 3.5L
- 3.0 lb Carabrown malt 55L
- 1.0 lb Rye 3.5L
- 0.5 lb Black malt 500L

Hops bill
1.5 oz Warrior 16AA @ 60min
1.0 oz Fuggles 4.5AA @ whirlpool
2.0 oz Bramling Cross @ dryhop

Reactions?

Eric.

I'm designing a recipe that's meant to be something between a hoppy porter and a black IPA and wanted to mix it up a bit. I haven't used rye before but understand it might add a bit of a peppery note which would an interesting element, and was also intrigued by the idea of blackcurrant notes from Bramling Cross.

Here's what I was picking and would love thoughts on whether it makes sense:

5.5 gal batch size

Grain bill
- 9.5 lb Pale Ale 3.5L
- 3.0 lb Carabrown malt 55L
- 1.0 lb Rye 3.5L
- 0.5 lb Black malt 500L

Hops bill
1.5 oz Warrior 16AA @ 60min
1.0 oz Fuggles 4.5AA @ whirlpool
2.0 oz Bramling Cross @ dryhop

Reactions?

Eric.
I’ve used Rye quite a bit and in upwards of 20% of the grain bill. I’ve never once noticed a spicy note. If one exists, I’d guess it would require a ton of Rye. I’d be stunned if you noticed any spice from that amount of Rye with all the hops and dark malts.
What I get from Rye is a lot of diastatic power and seemingly better head retention.

Regardless, I like your idea and as a lover of porters I’m very interested in how this turns out.

Good luck!

Back