No Boil NEIPA

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone brewing these? If so have a good recipe to share with the process?

I pulled one of of Omega Yeast web site that seems good but just curious if there are any others brewing this way?
Sanitation wise, I guess a good soak in Starsan would work.

I brew on an electric system so i would need to make sure my tubing is sanitized. What about the pump and IC Chiller? Run Starsan through the pump and soak the IC in starsan?

Trying to see others processes that led to a successful brew.

I pulled one of of Omega Yeast web site that seems good but just curious if there are any others brewing this way?

I brew on an electric system so i would need to make sure my tubing is sanitized. What about the pump and IC Chiller? Run Starsan through the pump and soak the IC in starsan?

I haven't but there's a large thread covering one over on HBT. I've considered trying that one just for fun even though it's not my favorite style. But I am curious how well it would turn out, so I may end up giving that one a go.

Water at something like 160 F has some sanitizing effect; it takes longer than boiling water, but I don't believe lots of starsan would be needed. Cant hurt of course.

I haven't but there's a large thread covering one over on HBT. I've considered trying that one just for fun even though it's not my favorite style. But I am curious how well it would turn out, so I may end up giving that one a go.
Yeah I read through most of it but I don't want to use DME.
I'm tempted to try and just do a normal mash with grains then raise to 180 and hold for 30 min then chill.

Yeah I read through most of it but I don't want to use DME.
I'm tempted to try and just do a normal mash with grains then raise to 180 and hold for 30 min then chill.
That's probably ideal I suppose. I know I've done no boil Berliner Weiss with DME and had excellent results. Pure convenience and sometimes a lack of time are what interest me most about some of these no boil beers.

That's probably ideal I suppose. I know I've done no boil Berliner Weiss with DME and had excellent results. Pure convenience and sometimes a lack of time are what interest me most about some of these no boil beers.
DME is too expensive for me to use in a 5 gal batch. That would increase my cost at least 50%- I cant see the end result being that much better to justify the cost.
I'll probably try it using grains in place of DME- it would be nice to cut 1-2 hrs off of my brew day.

DME is too expensive for me to use in a 5 gal batch. That would increase my cost at least 50%- I cant see the end result being that much better to justify the cost.
I'll probably try it using grains in place of DME- it would be nice to cut 1-2 hrs off of my brew day.
Two biggest issues I see in no-boil are hop utilization and DMS. DME has been boiled so the DMS issue is not a problem but even for a Berliner Weiss you need some iso-alpha acid for its antibacterial properties, unless it's so sour that bacteria is not a problem (I shoot for 3.6-3.8 pH for my kettle sours, making it a very inhospitable environment for bacteria). 180 degrees will pasteurize wort almost immediately so maybe if you whirlpooled hops to about 7 IBUs you could overcome the hop problem. I've read that original Berliners were not boiled so maybe DMS is a part of the original flavor profile.... Don't know. A no-boil Berliner may be a worthy experiment.

Two biggest issues I see in no-boil are hop utilization and DMS. DME has been boiled so the DMS issue is not a problem but even for a Berliner Weiss you need some iso-alpha acid for its antibacterial properties, unless it's so sour that bacteria is not a problem (I shoot for 3.6-3.8 pH for my kettle sours, making it a very inhospitable environment for bacteria). 180 degrees will pasteurize wort almost immediately so maybe if you whirlpooled hops to about 7 IBUs you could overcome the hop problem. I've read that original Berliners were not boiled so maybe DMS is a part of the original flavor profile.... Don't know. A no-boil Berliner may be a worthy experiment.
No boil Berliners turn out great. I've seen some recipes that call for heat just till it hits boil and cut the heat. As for IBU's, well there's another beer fad for that. There are some out there claiming 0 IBU's. It's a thing.

Sounds like a great beer to pitch Kviek into Hornindal region dont boil their beers Framgarden would be another great choice to add to the fruity overall impression of the beer your trying to create.
Reason I'd pitch kviek is it's great outcompeating abilities in the wort.
Please share your results;)

Back