Bar(psi) vs. Volumes of CO2

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy stupid question here, but even though I am not too bad at grasping mechanical engineering, things like pressure have always been a bit "out there" for me...
As I understand it, if the pressure within a vessel remains constant as it is cooled the amount of CO2 contained within the liquid increases (assuming there is a source of CO2).
If this is correct, and I have a pressure release valve on said vessel (in this case a 5L party keg) set to 2.5 bar, what happens if I cool the keg post conditioning? Will the CO2 in suspension increase or stay the same?
I ask, because I have a couple kegs in the basement right now which are fully conditioned and at ~15°C. By the time they are tapped, it will be quite a bit colder, and I am curious if there will potentially be more CO2 absorbed or if it will remain constant...
Theoretically, the pressure within the keg will even decrease if the temperature drops enough(?)

In a sealed vessel, the carbonation level won't change.
Cool, I guess it is only "sealed" in one direction, but I am very excited to tap the first keg next week and see if it has worked. :D

Cool, I guess it is only "sealed" in one direction, but I am very excited to tap the first keg next week and see if it has worked. :D

When you do tap it, and hook it up to the gas to dispense, you'll need to have the proper bar set for the carb level at the current temperature, to replace the gas as the beer is served. But don't overthink it- it's pretty intuitive when you're doing it.

When you do tap it, and hook it up to the gas to dispense, you'll need to have the proper bar set for the carb level at the current temperature, to replace the gas as the beer is served. But don't overthink it- it's pretty intuitive when you're doing it.
ah....if only I had something that fancy! ;)
It is just a standard party keg, which is basically a 5L bottle. Once tapped, it has got to be emptied. :p

Wouldn't you need to release the initial pressure in the keg before you connect to your serving CO2 if your regulator pressure is at serving say 10 PSI?

Wouldn't you need to release the initial pressure in the keg before you connect to your serving CO2 if your regulator pressure is at serving say 10 PSI?
I normally disconnect the gas, release the pressure in the geg, set regulator to serving pressure, then reconnect gas.

I normally disconnect the gas, release the pressure in the geg, set regulator to serving pressure, then reconnect gas.
You all have "real" kegs. :p
I've got a couple of these...
01_-_partyfass_blank_2.jpg

....basically a 5L bottle. I just plugged the top with a 2.5bar pressure release bung for conditioning. I could pump in CO2 during serving, but seeing as it will be emptied within an evening, I just got a hand pump to maintain a bit of pressure and hopefully prevent the beer from going too flat before the "keg" is empty.

Worth repeating here...
Just tapped my very first "keg". The 2.5 bar bung seems to have done the trick. 1st glass is perfect! :)
CAL1.jpeg

Back