Big Mouth Bubblers

Hetken1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, Is anyone using these? I have been using Better Bottles for years and love them but the Big Mouth look very interesting.
Is it necessary to have any blow by tube set up (like required with Better Bottles) or can the 6.5 gallon handle it? How about transferring to corni kegs with with co2, as I always do now.
Ken

I like the two I have. They are better than fighting with the lids on buckets and you can see what is happening during the ferment. But they are plastic and will have only so many uses before needing replacement. The spigots are nice for pulling a sample, transferring to a secondary, or to the bottling bucket. Now I'm getting older, the light weight and easy cleaning of the Big Mouth is another attractive feature. Quick and easy to add/remove bagged dry hops.

I think I've had my BMB for about 5 years now and going strong. I also have the ported version which comes in handy for sure. I use a blow off when I use the BMB. Cheap insurance.

I have been using BMB's since I started brewing 2 years ago. They much lighter and way easier to clean. Also you can see what's happening with your fermentation. I should also admit that I use BMB, 7 gal Speidel ferementer and a 7 gal stainless conical. The BMB is the easiest to use.

I use Fermonsters which are similar and they work really nicely, I still use blow off tubes at times but generally it's not needed.

I have the 6.5g and 5g models; I do 5 gal batches. I use the 6.5 for the fermentation then transfer to the 5 for secondary. Both have the spigots which are very useful. I don't use a blow off tube, just a regular airlock and have had no problems. Definitely get the carrying straps - makes them easier to carry (imagine that! :) ) and can be used to keep the tops from popping off, which some people have complained about.

I use one for my 1.3 gallon batches and like. Easy to clean, mine is thick glass, and I like having a spigot and it’s low enough I don’t lose much beer

I have a 6 gallon glass old style with the threads on the outside and I do use blow offs ...easy insurance when you're going to be away from the brew for a long time . It's a cinch to clean and yes, the strap make carrying things much easier. I think I saw a lid that you could get that had 2 ports. one for a fern lock and one for a blow off, temp probe or whatever! If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy another!

I have a 6 gallon glass old style with the threads on the outside and I do use blow offs ...easy insurance when you're going to be away from the brew for a long time . It's a cinch to clean and yes, the strap make carrying things much easier. I think I saw a lid that you could get that had 2 ports. one for a fern lock and one for a blow off, temp probe or whatever! If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy another!

Yes, I have the two-port lids and use them during fermentation - one for the lock and one for a temp probe. Only drawback is the the straps are actually made for the single-port tops. I just criss-cross the straps and it works fine. I use the sing-port lids for the secondary and just have a temp probe.

Hi, Is anyone using these? I have been using Better Bottles for years and love them but the Big Mouth look very interesting.
Is it necessary to have any blow by tube set up (like required with Better Bottles) or can the 6.5 gallon handle it? How about transferring to corni kegs with with co2, as I always do now.
Ken
From the sounds of the replies - you should be getting yourself a couple! Maybe I should too :)

From the sounds of the replies - you should be getting yourself a couple! Maybe I should too :)

Yeah, cleaning is a cinch and with the ability to grab inside the mouth, I don't have the same fear of the slippy glass getting away from me like I do when I am washing a water cooler car boy.

? Where does that term come from? Car boy??

Yeah, cleaning is a cinch and with the ability to grab inside the mouth, I don't have the same fear of the slippy glass getting away from me like I do when I am washing a water cooler car boy.

? Where does that term come from? Car boy??
Carboy is derived from the Persian word qaraba which means "large glass flagon"....

I have the 5g plastic siphonless version. It has worked great so far. I have used it a couple times for primary with a standard airlock without issue. Although I'm not a fan of the lid. I have used electrical tape to hold it on during primary. For secondary I have not had any issue with the lid.

Back