Snacks to go with Oktoberfest beer

Bubba Wade

Trial Member
Reaction score
My first attempt at homemade pretzels. Pretty tasty. Will pair with the Oktoberfest beer.
910C4D55-525C-4EFD-A08A-EFE8DDAC7817.jpeg

Hope you're making beer cheese to go with those. I think most people use pale lagers in cheese s dips but maybe it'd taste even better if you used a marzen or some other style

Those look like they turned out great!

Hope you're making beer cheese to go with those. I think most people use pale lagers in cheese s dips but maybe it'd taste even better if you used a marzen or some other style
If you have a beer cheese dip recipe, let me know.

I recently learned that you boil the dough in a baking soda solution prior to baking in order to get the dark brown skin. But they are very easy to make.

I dip mine briefly in a lye solution, but I always have lye on hand anyway since I'm a soapmaker. But yes, same principle with the alkalinity helping to create the maillard reactions!

I dip mine briefly in a lye solution, but I always have lye on hand anyway since I'm a soapmaker. But yes, same principle with the alkalinity helping to create the maillard reactions!
I had read that lye was commonly used for pretzels but not necessarily recommended for home use. I decided to stick with the baking soda.

I used the baking soda method also, and they turned out great!

I had read that lye was commonly used for pretzels but not necessarily recommended for home use. I decided to stick with the baking soda.

That's probably wise- it's very caustic! I have it on hand, and use it often so I'm comfortable with it, but it probaby is great to use baking soda for most people.

The relatively weak Lye solution is perfectly safe for home usage, but the concentrated lye powder is definitely not. Rubber gloves and eye protection are wise, and be sure to use only food-grade lye, not 'drain cleaner'.. Bottom line is, brown pretzels are brown pretzels, and baking soda is astoundingly safe.

Now all you need is mustard...

Oktoberfest Sausage, sauerkraut, mustard (dijon, sorry don't do the bright yellow stuff), some potato salad, and some strudel for dessert.

Spent mash crackers...recipe on the internet...

Back