Basic Amber print instruction question

Kyle L.

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm using the BF Basic Amber recipe to dial in liquid measurements and losses on my setup. I have a question about the printed instructions; the mash guidelines amounts are unclear and don't add up to the total mash water needed. The mash guidelines strike and sparge add up to 31.2 with no scale provided, but the total mash water needed under quick water requirements says 34.3 quarts.

What are the mash guideline amounts referring to?

I'm using the BF Basic Amber recipe to dial in liquid measurements and losses on my setup. I have a question about the printed instructions; the mash guidelines amounts are unclear and don't add up to the total mash water needed. The mash guidelines strike and sparge add up to 31.2 with no scale provided, but the total mash water needed under quick water requirements says 34.3 quarts.

What are the mash guideline amounts referring to?

What do you have set for your mash thickness in the recipe?

It's not my recipe, it's directly from the Brewer's Friend Basic Amber recipe. When you go to the Basic Amber recipe and hit the print button, the mash guidelines say 9, 4.2, and 18 with no units. If this is quarts it doesn't correspond to the total mash water needed which says 34.3 quarts. There's a 3.1 qt difference - which is significant, I'm trying to understand what the units are for the mash guidelines and if there is a problem with the programming perhaps I've found a bug.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/print/6257

Ah! You're going to want to "copy" that recipe into your own account. Because that recipe is set up for that person's equipment profile.

So go into "copy" and then you can get your own batch size, boil size, etc- and THEN print it out for yourself. You'll also get the brew steps and things for step by step instructions in your own account when you click "Brew!". We can help you navigate that part.

Ok,now I see that the "Quick Water Requirements" section is probably referring to the posting brewers inputs and losses. The recipe "Mash Guidelines" calls for 31.2 ??? of water (no units specified) and the brewer used 34.3 quarts.

Perhaps a unit can be added to the mash guidelines amounts, as it is for the hops and fermentables sections.

Ok,now I see that the "Quick Water Requirements" section is probably referring to the posting brewers inputs and losses. The recipe "Mash Guidelines" calls for 31.2 ??? of water (no units specified) and the brewer used 34.3 quarts.

Perhaps a unit can be added to the mash guidelines amounts, as it is for the hops and fermentables sections.
That is correct, this particular recipe pre-dates the units in the mash guidelines. We now use either Liters, Quarts, or Gallons depending on the unit system (metric vs imperial US), and the users preference. Those amounts are certainly in quarts given the recipes batch size.

Back