Adding blow off to plastic bucket

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Does the blow-off gasket always need to be on the top of the fermenter? What if I installed a grommet into the side of the fermeter, as close to the top as I can without rupturing the plastic, and then attach the tubing? I would like to stack 2 gallon buckets as fermenters with lids on, but this doesn't seem possible if I drill the blow-off valve into the lids. Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts, thank you!!

Does the blow-off gasket always need to be on the top of the fermenter? What if I installed a grommet into the side of the fermeter, as close to the top as I can without rupturing the plastic, and then attach the tubing? I would like to stack 2 gallon buckets as fermenters with lids on, but this doesn't seem possible if I drill the blow-off valve into the lids. Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts, thank you!!
I don't see why not as long as the fermentor can off gas anywhere above the fill volume Just remember the odd crazy fermentation krausen might be a couple inches above your fermentation volume.

With a lid mounted blow-off tube you have gravity helping keep the beer where it belongs. So if you side mount it, try to put a bend upwards (without kinking) before you send it down to your container of starsan

Back