Cleaning bottles 24 hours prior to bottling?

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this should be fine but wanted to ask anyways. So I'm on "vacation" this week. Basically I took a week off work so my wife could spend her first week back to work for the new school year without having to organize babysitting and rush to the babysitters after work. So basically when I'm home alone with a 17 month old most of my beer making activities happen either while he's napping or later in the evening after he's asleep. Gives me basically a 2 hour window most days. Makes it tight to try to squeeze cleaning bottles and bottling in the same window. Was planning to bottle today but had to clean my bottles (was planning on last night but other plans came up). So I just cleaned all my bottles in hot PBW, rinsed and have them drying upside down in the racks. My question is if it's ok to let them sit 24 hours provided I'm going to sanitize them right before bottling? Nothing should grow on/in them in that time right?

I have always just given my bottles a thorough rinse after use, stored upside down in boxes, then sanitized prior to bottling. I have never had an issue. The only time I clean with PBW is if I have some bottles come back from friends dirty. Having said this, I should probably give them a PBW wash at least occasionally.

I'm assuming this should be fine but wanted to ask anyways. So I'm on "vacation" this week. Basically I took a week off work so my wife could spend her first week back to work for the new school year without having to organize babysitting and rush to the babysitters after work. So basically when I'm home alone with a 17 month old most of my beer making activities happen either while he's napping or later in the evening after he's asleep. Gives me basically a 2 hour window most days. Makes it tight to try to squeeze cleaning bottles and bottling in the same window. Was planning to bottle today but had to clean my bottles (was planning on last night but other plans came up). So I just cleaned all my bottles in hot PBW, rinsed and have them drying upside down in the racks. My question is if it's ok to let them sit 24 hours provided I'm going to sanitize them right before bottling? Nothing should grow on/in them in that time right?
Should work just fine.

I have done that in the past. Combining all of those activities makes bottle day longer than it needs to be especially if you flying solo.

I have always just given my bottles a thorough rinse after use, stored upside down in boxes, then sanitized prior to bottling. I have never had an issue. The only time I clean with PBW is if I have some bottles come back from friends dirty. Having said this, I should probably give them a PBW wash at least occasionally.
Well last time I used regular dawn dish soap and most of the bottles came out fine but I had some bottles from a specific brewery that despite looking clean I got some earthy/dirty off flavors from. My father-in-law told me he also has noticed their bottles are stubborn to clean. He uses diluted bleach to take care of it, I opted for PBW. I soaked all of that brand and the few truly dirty bottles but the "clean" ones I just filled part way with the PBW solution, gave them a quick once over with the bottle brush, emptied, rinsed with cold water and then inspected them under the light.
Have to say the PBW is amazing. I had a lot of dirty bottles last time (I'm much better about rinsing them now) and I really had to work to get them clean. This time the couple I had that were real dirty soaked and it all just came loose. So much easier.

Well last time I used regular dawn dish soap and most of the bottles came out fine but I had some bottles from a specific brewery that despite looking clean I got some earthy/dirty off flavors from.
I guess this right here is why I'm paranoid. My father-in-law got one of that brand bottle one day at their campsite and I noticed that his bottle was foaming much more than the other two we just opened. I had previously had 1 that had the earthy off flavor so I was worried his was infected or something. Said it tasted fine so might just have been uneven carbonation but I'm also not sure he'd have said if it tasted off. Don't want to be sharing "dirty" tasting beer.

[QUOTE="SabreSteve, post: 117633, (I'm much better about rinsing them now)[/QUOTE]

My Mamma always told me that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I have never had any problems with my bottles. After a bottle is emptied into a glass, I invert the bottle in the kitchen sink, letting gravity help to empty the dregs. Then I rinse the bottle with some water, empty, add a little more water with dish washing liquid and shake it up really good. The bottle, with its soapy contents, is allowed to sit for a while, before rinsing with hot water. Then I put the clean empty bottles in the garage. When it is time to bottle, I simply sanitize with a solution of Star San - don’t fear the foam.

Could you put them in the dishwasher on sanitize a few hours before you want to bottle with a note on the dishwasher so no one opens it? You could put your tubing and other small equipment in with them. Might require a special rack but I believe this would eliminate the need for clinking the bottles around in cleaner or sanitizing solution while your child I’d napping.

Could you put them in the dishwasher on sanitize a few hours before you want to bottle with a note on the dishwasher so no one opens it? You could put your tubing and other small equipment in with them. Might require a special rack but I believe this would eliminate the need for clinking the bottles around in cleaner or sanitizing solution while your child I’d napping.
That it would, as long as the bottles are clean.

With sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher, is there a risk of soap residue left from previous dishwasher runs getting into the bottles and remaining there? That possibility (possibly unfounded) is why I've never considered doing it.

It’s common practice and I believe it’s described in the Palmer boll. If there’s nothing wrong with your dishwasher you should be set.

Back