Puffballs!!

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My lunch today :D
Puffballs1.jpg
Puffballs2.jpg

Wow! Only ever seen those on TV, I'm a massive mushroom fan so pretty jealous of your lunch :)

Oh yes, mushroom royalty is your puffball :)
The great thing about puffballs is you only have to find one and you have at least a meal, and they are impossible to mistake for anything else.
The 4 in my pic are actually really small (softball-ish) and medium sized. They easily get to basketball sized, but I don't bother with anything that big, because the smaller they are, the better they taste....

Last edited:
I see those at work all the time, but don't trust my fungi ID's enough to ever try one
If it is bigger than a baseball, white and round (as in, has no stem and/or cap), then it is a giant puffball....and tasty as. :cool:
Edit, if they are too big, they don't taste like much...and check for worms (around here, anything more than a day old is full of them... :confused:)

Those are huge! We've only been finding the small variety but we have TONS of them. We've used them on pizza, sauteed them, given some away, and dried pounds of them. We've also found comb tooth, chanterelles, and oyster mushrooms (but the chanterelles now seem to be over).

IMG_4912.jpg
IMG_4927.jpg

If it is bigger than a baseball, white and round (as in, has no stem and/or cap), then it is a giant puffball....and tasty as. :cool:
Edit, if they are too big, they don't taste like much...and check for worms (around here, anything more than a day old is full of them... :confused:)

When I read this I suddenly had this picture of me draggin' my ass around the floor to get rid of the worms itch!
That is just not a pretty picture!

Back