Bottle Conditioning

BrainYYC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Another home brewer (not on this forum) previously advised me that for most consistent carbonation I should swirl the sediment in my bottles a week or so after bottling. I have also read to keep from disrupting bottles in any way if at all possible.

Can someone help clarify for me. Obviously being bottle conditioned beer I know to chill well and pour gently to not drink the gunk (I’ve also heard people swirling and drinking this )

But as far as swirling the contents part way through the carbonation process?

The way I think about things like this is how should it work. The yeast that has settled to the bottom is done. It fell out because it's done. How is swirling it up supposed to work? It won't hurt but I don't see how it could help.

Ok cool, thanks for the answers.

and basically only psychopaths swirl up and drink the dead yeast gunk....correct?

Ok cool, thanks for the answers.

and basically only psychopaths swirl up and drink the dead yeast gunk....correct?
Some people have said I'm a bit emotionally lacking, but psychopath is a bit far...

It's a traditional way to drink a few styles of beer round the world, heffeweizen, sparkling ale, though there's plenty that don't do it for those styles.

I haven't bottled much for a while, but I do remember having one that I swirled up the dregs, and mixed them in. I didn't do that with every bottle, it was more like an occasional thing.

Haha ok yes psycho is maybe a stretch.

Craigerrr I’m going to pop one of our “Almost Cross Country Collabo” ales tomorrow, let you know how it goes.

Although I do differentiate between swirling up the dregs for drinking vs. swirling them up for conditioning. One of those has a purpose.

I always do this for a hefeweizen! :) Thus, you must be the first to ever call me a psycho! I'll forgive you after you've had a hefe or dunkle (weizen). ;)
I tried this with my Nefewiezen last night (I decided that's what I'm calling this failed attempt) out of curiosity. Not a good decision...

Haha Ok just to clarify I was referring to swirling up and drinking the bottle conditioning gunk.

And clearly anyone who is willing to come onto a public forum to give advice to newby home brewers doesn’t fit the traditional “psycho” profile ;)

Haha Ok just to clarify I was referring to swirling up and drinking the bottle conditioning gunk.
Yep, that's what a few of us do. I'm fairly likely to do it with sours and every now and again with hefes and sparkling ales.

Back