How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

Dug up my hop rhyzome turns out what looks to be three main root balls going to plant these out into different areas.
20200801_103959.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice. There are plenty of fully formed cones, and even more starting to form. Is it normal to be harvesting in stages? A lot of cones formed a few weeks ago, and some are just starting. I wasn't expecting this much in year one.
20200801_073335.jpg
20200801_073327.jpg
20200721_202836.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice. There are plenty of fully formed cones, and even more starting to form. Is it normal to be harvesting in stages? A lot of cones formed a few weeks ago, and some are just starting. I wasn't expecting this much in year one.
View attachment 11139 View attachment 11140 View attachment 11141
Mine allways mature in stages but its because they are trained to go across and some are more shaded I'm guessing. Right now the ones on the roof are almost mature while there are still cones forming underneath.

Picked 6 pounds of Willamette hops today. Here they are on the drying rack. They will get vacuum packed in 2 oz pkgs in about a week. I don’t have them tested for Alpha Acids, just use the default in the recipe calculator and mostly whirlpool with them. Cheers!
upload_2020-8-30_15-30-52.jpeg

Picked 6 pounds of Willamette hops today. Here they are on the drying rack. They will get vacuum packed in 2 oz pkgs in about a week. I don’t have them tested for Alpha Acids, just use the default in the recipe calculator and mostly whirlpool with them. Cheers!
View attachment 11663
Awesome!

Really like that drying rack! Got a fan under it?
Those hops are beauties.

No fan under. But there is a box fan in the shop I could turn on if the humidity increases. It’s pretty dry here on the high desert.
Was checking closely last night and some of Centennial are starting to get a bit of a paper feel. We have a little more humidity. It's usually around Labor Day they are ready. Definately have bitterness to the lupulin and decent aroma.

Was checking closely last night and some of Centennial are starting to get a bit of a paper feel. We have a little more humidity. It's usually around Labor Day they are ready. Definately have bitterness to the lupulin and decent aroma.
My Crystal hops are about ready. Cascade next. It’s interesting and convenient that they mature at different rates.

Harvesting today, do I cut the plant back when I am done?
Or leave it until later in the fall?
20200905_104722.jpg
20200905_104725.jpg

Harvesting today, do I cut the plant back when I am done?
Or leave it until later in the fall?
View attachment 11749 View attachment 11750
The pro's cut all vines for harvest. I like to wait for the weather to cool off a little so no new growth til next spring. I am an excelent procrastinator also;)
We are not far from one of inbevs huge hop fields but haven't made it yet to see the harvest being done. Always thought that would be cool to see.

Got 8 ounces not sure what I was expecting from year one, but I will take it!

Fan on low, in front of the dehumidifier, how long should I leave it there?
Until this evening, or tomorrow at this time?
20200905_112458.jpg

Hope you like my Air Bethlehem 3000's!

Got 8 ounces not sure what I was expecting from year one, but I will take it!

Fan on low, in front of the dehumidifier, how long should I leave it there?
Until this evening, or tomorrow at this time?
View attachment 11751
Dry til they feel kind of papery and crisp. To long and they will fall apart. Bet pool room smells good right now. Any fruity or spicy aroma ? Crack 1 open and lick a little of the lupine to check bitterness.

Dry til they feel kind of papery and crisp. To long and they will fall apart. Bet pool room smells good right now. Any fruity or spicy aroma ? Crack 1 open and lick a little of the lupine to check bitterness.
It is a subtle aroma, but yes, smells good!

Back