What did I make?

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I had a brain fart yesterday and didn’t realize until I pitched the yeast. I needed .5 ounces of Progress and instead it got half of that. What did I make other than beer?

faad711e-3f1a-439f-a0fd-bf0cac54c036-jpeg.695332

So I had a brain fart yesterday and didn’t realize until I pitched the yeast. I needed .5 ounces of Progress and instead it got half of that. What did I make other than beer?

faad711e-3f1a-439f-a0fd-bf0cac54c036-jpeg.695332
I suppose your image was supposed to be the recipe? It didn't come through... so my answer is "beer" ;)

I suppose your image was supposed to be the recipe? It didn't come through... so my answer is "beer" ;)
Hahahaha. Was going for the Dark ESB I opened the other night. Not sure why I didn’t simply look at my iPad that had the recipe visible....D.A. Moment
F1BA69E0-AFCC-46EC-9DA7-D256898BDCDD.png

I'd put that in the realm of a scottish export of sorts (80 Schiling). At least that is what I'd suppose it'll taste like. Maybe also pretty close to an Altbier or a southern brown ale...

I'd put that in the realm of a scottish export of sorts (80 Schiling). At least that is what I'd suppose it'll taste like. Maybe also pretty close to an Altbier or a southern brown ale...
I was thinking it may be in the Scottish range somewhere. I assume it should taste ok as long as fermentation and bottling go as planned.

If the yeast finishes out pretty clean then it could also p
Hahahaha. Was going for the Dark ESB I opened the other night. Not sure why I didn’t simply look at my iPad that had the recipe visible....D.A. Moment
View attachment 11567
See my above remark... I assume you plan on fermenting this on the "cooler side"? That will lean it even closer to the alt or scottish. Maybe even a "dark lager" of sorts.

I don't have much experience with s04 - will you get a lot of fruity flavors if you ferment at the mid to low 60s?

Honestly, (if you keep the temps on the low end of the yeast range) I think if you don't like it the you should send it to me! ;) I'll take care of it!

Reactions: Jnh

See my above remark... I assume you plan on fermenting this on the "cooler side"? That will lean it even closer to the alt or scottish. Maybe even a "dark lager" of sorts.

I don't have much experience with s04 - will you get a lot of fruity flavors if you ferment at the mid to low 60s?
I usually stay around 64 with it. I may try to stay a little cooler if I can. I don’t notice lots of fruityness it I’ve never fermented 04 higher than that other than the occasional jump up to 68 before I catch it.

I usually stay around 64 with it. I may try to stay a little cooler if I can. I don’t notice lots of fruityness it I’ve never fermented 04 higher than that other than the occasional jump up to 68 before I catch it.
If you've done s04 at 64 without fruity flavors then I say stick with what you know. Sounds like it will be a delicious beer - Probably right on the fence of a Scottish Export :)

Will do. It’s at 62 right now.

As I keep being told when I start worrying about my brews, you have made a beer. It will likely taste nice and will be excellent when you pour a chilled glass out after a hard day doing something.

I’ve kept it between 60-64 since Sunday other than a short (less than 3 hours at 66. Cant believed it’s bubbling always as well as it has being colder than I’m used to.

Back