Avg Perfect NEIPA without Galaxy

Kees77

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have brewed the Avg Perfect NEIPA a few times and want to modify it based on Hop availability. What are your thoughts on substituting Galaxy with Amarillo or El Dorado? I would like to keep the recipe intact and simply substitute the one hop. Thoughts?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/363082/avg-perfect-northeast-ipa-neipa-

I have a freezer full of CItra, Eldorado, Amarillo, Mosaic, Enigma and Casade. Each in 1 pound bags and cant get Galaxy.

Also has anyone tried adding a 1/2 pound to a pound of Carapils/Carafoam to this recipe?

Thanks
Kees

Last edited:
Could you post a link to the recipe?

Hi Everyone

I have brewed the Avg Perfect NEIPA a few times and want to modify it based on Hop availability. What are your thoughts on substituting Galaxy with Amarillo or El Dorado? I would like to keep the recipe intact and simply substitute the one hop. Thoughts?

I have a freezer full of CItra, Eldorado, Amarillo, Mosaic, Enigma and Casade. Each in 1 pound bags and cant get Galaxy.

Also has anyone tried adding a 1/2 pound to a pound of Carapils/Carafoam to this recipe?

Thanks
Kees
I'm not familiar with the recipe, but why not? Either Amarillo or El Dorado should work fine. Really, any IPA-type hop would probably work.

Again, without seeing the recipe I'm not sure Carapils would be appropriate. I suppose you could add the .5lb Carapils at the expense of a .5lb of whatever base malt you are using, but if you already have any Wheat malt in the recipe, then the Carapils is useless. (Some would argue that it is useless regardless! :p)

Good luck!

Thanks. I assumed everyone knew this recipe. I updated my original post with the link.
I'd skip the CaraPils for sure.

And I'm good with either hop substitution.

@Craigerrr is the resident NEIPA guru, so I would wait for his response before you do anything. :)

Hi Everyone

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/363082/avg-perfect-northeast-ipa-neipa-

Thanks
Kees
You are correct, it's a pretty avg IPA recipe. I don't see why you couldn't modify the hops in whatever way you'd like. Also with the honey malt, you don't need the carapils/carafoam - all they are is very lightly toasted crystal-style malts.

It looks like this is a tried and true recipe, brewed by many BF members.
I might have to copy this one and give it a go too, and run with it!
Other hops that I use in NEIPA's are Simcoe and Amarillo, there is also Azzaca, and Zythos.
Azzaca is a beauty, Zythos is an IPA blend, I don't think they publish what the blend is.
The only thing I would do different would be to switch to a Kveik yeast.
The beauty of Kveik with this style is that you can add your first dry hop when you pitch, then add the second the next day. The bio-transformation (pretty loose science mind you) that takes place by hopping during peak fermentation is a big factor in the haze, and is partl responsible for the big juicy flavors. With the Kveik it will be done fermenting in 3-4 days, so you don't end up having the hops sitting in the beer too long.
Water profile looks good too, it seems backwards on the Sulfate/Chloride ratio, but that is also a contributor to the haze you are looking for.

Back