Mash Calculator (direct heat step mash)

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So, I was playing around with the Mash Calculator and setting up a step mash schedule... The only issue was that in doing so it was giving me infusions of boiling water to add to raise the temp, totally cool for those that do so but, I raise my temp via direct heat (robobrew).

Is there a way I can use this Mash Calc. with an option for direct heat vs. infusions? - Plus, I assume this calc then drops the mash schedule into my recipe? Or... is it pointless to use the calculator for direct heat step mashing?

Just curious...

So, I was playing around with the Mash Calculator and setting up a step mash schedule... The only issue was that in doing so it was giving me infusions of boiling water to add to raise the temp, totally cool for those that do so but, I raise my temp via direct heat (robobrew).

Is there a way I can use this Mash Calc. with an option for direct heat vs. infusions? - Plus, I assume this calc then drops the mash schedule into my recipe? Or... is it pointless to use the calculator for direct heat step mashing?

Just curious...
The mash calculator is not linked to the recipe at the moment, this may change as we progress through our lineup of projects, one of them is to reuse and integrate he calculators and the recipe builder more.

IMO there's no need for a calculator for direct heating, so in your scenario I would use the recipe builders mash guidelines section, or the mash calculator, for the initial strike infusion and not any subsequent mash temps that are direct heated.

IMO there's no need for a calculator for direct heating, so in your scenario I would use the recipe builders mash guidelines section, or the mash calculator, for the initial strike infusion and not any subsequent mash temps that are direct heated.
Okay - this is exactly what I ended up doing. :) Sounds good.

Back