Overwhelmed with style/recipe options. Help!!

I haven't been able to let this drift from my mind since reading it... In a dunkleweiss I usually like a malt that lends a dry fruit (raisins/figs/plums) note to the beer. So, instead of the carafa III I'd probably consider the caramunich III... Or perhaps an abbey malt. Though it doesn't have dark fruit notes to it carawheat would work nicely for 5-10% of the bill.

Since it is the yeast that always escapes me on this beer I almost wonder what it would be like with a lager yeast... If I could excentuate the malts enough and maybe find a hop that went nicely (Phoenix or Mt. Rainier) - maybe use a decoction mash... But what would I do for the banana/clove one gets from the yeast?...

Sorry. Thinking out loud here.
If unruly yeast is the problem is there a strain that's less particular? I noticed that White Labs alone has 3 different strains. Are they all tough to deal with?

If unruly yeast is the problem is there a strain that's less particular? I noticed that White Labs alone has 3 different strains. Are they all tough to deal with?
I've often had good results with wlp300 but never any good results with the wb06... Wyeast has one I used once with success.

I am unsure of the problem honestly. I keep coming back to the yeast for some reason... I feel I had the best luck when I underpitched wlp300 (one vial in a 1.056 wort).

I've often had good results with wlp300 but never any good results with the wb06... Wyeast has one I used once with success.

I am unsure of the problem honestly. I keep coming back to the yeast for some reason... I feel I had the best luck when I underpitched wlp300 (one vial in a 1.056 wort).
I'm actually wondering if I lack alot of the Hefe qualities because I underpitched. I used one vial for a 1.049 wort with no starter because there package says that you can do up to 1.050 with 1 and no starter. However everything I've read online since that's not on white Labs website has basically said I should have done a starter. It was showing activity in the airlock in two days but didn't really feel there was the crazy amount of activity people typically report with these yeasts

I'm actually wondering if I lack alot of the Hefe qualities because I underpitched. I used one vial for a 1.049 wort with no starter because there package says that you can do up to 1.050 with 1 and no starter. However everything I've read online since that's not on white Labs website has basically said I should have done a starter. It was showing activity in the airlock in two days but didn't really feel there was the crazy amount of activity people typically report with these yeasts
So after my first couple successful beers (which I "underpitched" according to others online) I started making starters and that is when I stopped getting the results I was looking for. I wish I were able to pinpoint my problem... For a little bit I thought it was oxygen but none of my other beers had the same taste. Then I thought, maybe bottles but the kegged beer ended up the same... Then I though it was malt but upon tasting it - it was delicious! No clue... The flavor I keep getting reminds me of sourdoough tang or similar tartness... BUT I ONLY GET IT WHEN MAKING A HEFE...

Some real good veteran brewers struggle with the style. You have so much to learn about brewing in general right now, you are probably best served to make a simpler beer that you like. Take some time and learn how to brew my good man. Think of yourself like a newly drafted, promising defenceman. You just need to spend a few years in the minors, if you go straight to the bigs, you are going struggle...

So after my first couple successful beers (which I "underpitched" according to others online) I started making starters and that is when I stopped getting the results I was looking for. I wish I were able to pinpoint my problem... For a little bit I thought it was oxygen but none of my other beers had the same taste. Then I thought, maybe bottles but the kegged beer ended up the same... Then I though it was malt but upon tasting it - it was delicious! No clue... The flavor I keep getting reminds me of sourdoough tang or similar tartness... BUT I ONLY GET IT WHEN MAKING A HEFE...
I hate to say it but I think that beer is inside your head...
Some real good veteran brewers struggle with the style. You have so much to learn about brewing in general right now, you are probably best served to make a simpler beer that you like. Take some time and learn how to brew my good man. Think of yourself like a newly drafted, promising defenceman. You just need to spend a few years in the minors, if you go straight to the bigs, you are going struggle...
Unless the Dman in question is a 22 year old UFA who played multiple pro seasons in Sweden leading the SHL in scoring by a Dman his final season. And then you bury him in the AHL for 2 seasons because you have 12 NHL caliber Dmen and your idiot GM won't trade one for a forward even when both your NHL and AHL clubs are routinely being forced to dress 7 or even 8 Dmen. Then he finally walks to the KHL when you refuse to offer him a one-way contract but I digress!

Point on the beer taken. No one-size-fits all development plan in the NHL though

I hate to say it but I think that beer is inside your head...

Unless the Dman in question is a 22 year old UFA who played multiple pro seasons in Sweden leading the SHL in scoring by a Dman his final season. And then you bury him in the AHL for 2 seasons because you have 12 NHL caliber Dmen and your idiot GM won't trade one for a forward even when both your NHL and AHL clubs are routinely being forced to dress 7 or even 8 Dmen. Then he finally walks to the KHL when you refuse to offer him a one-way contract but I digress!

Point on the beer taken. No one-size-fits all development plan in the NHL though
I love your passion for the game!
Right now I hate hockey, I can't watch it yet. The wound is deep, and is still too fresh. Would have been easier to be a Sabres fan right now...

I love your passion for the game!
Right now I hate hockey, I can't watch it yet. The wound is deep, and is still too fresh. Would have been easier to be a Sabres fan right now...
You want to trade the last 10 years?

I just miss hockey. On one hand 9 months between Sabres games is a blessing because I don't have to watch them suck but at the same time I want to watch them and just have them not suck

It's pretty common practice to under pitch a hefe to try and stress the yeast to bring out more esters. I can't say if this is necessarily true, but it's there. You may also want to try a different yeast. I actually prefer the wyeast hefe over the white labs.

It's pretty common practice to under pitch a hefe to try and stress the yeast to bring out more esters. I can't say if this is necessarily true, but it's there. You may also want to try a different yeast. I actually prefer the wyeast hefe over the white labs.
This certainly could be the case! Maybe this spring I'll do just that!

Hey so wasn't sure if I should start a whole other thread for this one question. Put in an order with my LHBS this morning so I could be ready to brew on my next day off. Got it all set over the phone so I was able to be in and out of the store in 30 seconds and didn't have to take my toddler out of the car seat and try to contain him in the store. Was great. Just got it home and unpacked everything and the yeast was slightly different than what I expected. Wanted the Nottingham ale yeast but this is Nottingham but says high performance ale yeast. Only raised questions because I've noticed before that the Danstar Nottingham and the LAL high performance Nottingham are listed separately on here. I'm sure they're similar enough that it won't really affect the character of the beer, my main question is about pitching. If I was going to pitch 2 before can I pitch 1 now and save the other or is there not that large a difference in performance? Kinda feel like it's a silly question but just would like clarification

Sorry, I haven't used either

Hey so wasn't sure if I should start a whole other thread for this one question. Put in an order with my LHBS this morning so I could be ready to brew on my next day off. Got it all set over the phone so I was able to be in and out of the store in 30 seconds and didn't have to take my toddler out of the car seat and try to contain him in the store. Was great. Just got it home and unpacked everything and the yeast was slightly different than what I expected. Wanted the Nottingham ale yeast but this is Nottingham but says high performance ale yeast. Only raised questions because I've noticed before that the Danstar Nottingham and the LAL high performance Nottingham are listed separately on here. I'm sure they're similar enough that it won't really affect the character of the beer, my main question is about pitching. If I was going to pitch 2 before can I pitch 1 now and save the other or is there not that large a difference in performance? Kinda feel like it's a silly question but just would like clarification
Here is Lallemand’s pitch rate calculator. Might help.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en...orner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

Back