Unmalted steeping grains

Mark Farrall

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any reason why unmalted grains aren't available in the steeping grains section of an extract recipe? Just looking to add some rolled oats to my 5 litre extract recipe I use to play with different hop combos and I can only see malted grains in the list.

Any reason why unmalted grains aren't available in the steeping grains section of an extract recipe? Just looking to add some rolled oats to my 5 litre extract recipe I use to play with different hop combos and I can only see malted grains in the list.

I'll check when I get home, but I suspect fermentables with category=adjunct aren't available in steeping in extracts because they have to be mashed to get anything out of it.

@Yooper any thoughts?

I'll check when I get home, but I suspect fermentables with category=adjunct aren't available in steeping in extracts because they have to be mashed to get anything out of it.

@Yooper any thoughts?

Yes, I'm sure that's it. However, some people do steep oats and flaked barley. It's not recommended because it releases starch into the wort and affects the colloidal stability- but some still do it.

Mark, if you change the brew type to "partial mash", you'll get a look at all of the grains in our database.

Back