Munich Helles Mash Schedule

Brewer #253491

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to attempt a Munich Helles tomorrow and need some help with the mash schedule and acid additions.
My recipe consists of
90% Pilsner Malt- 3 EBC
5% Vienna Malt- 4 EBC
3% Melanoidin Malt (Light)- 50 EBC
2% Acid Malt- 6 EBC

I'm using 4 stage RO water which has 0 TDS and 6.7ph. I shall add Calcium Chloride and Gypsum to get the correct water profile. The batch size is 19L and my equipment is the 30L Brew Monk which is similar to the Grain Father.

My questions are:

What mash schedule is best suited to the grain bill i have?
Will the 2% acid malt be enough to get the mash down to 5.3?

I have only brewed ales to date so this is my first Lager.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am going to attempt a Munich Helles tomorrow and need some help with the mash schedule and acid additions.
My recipe consists of
90% Pilsner Malt- 3 EBC
5% Vienna Malt- 4 EBC
2% Acid Malt- 6 EBC

I'm using 4 stage RO water which has 0 TDS and 6.7ph. I shall add Calcium Chloride and Gypsum to get the correct water profile. The batch size is 19L and my equipment is the 30L Brew Monk which is similar to the Grain Father.

My questions are:

Thanks in advance.

I would use a multi-step "infusion" (in your case, direct heat via the Brew Monk).
I'd probably dough-in to hit a rest at 142-146 and rest there for 30 minutes.
Then raise the temperature to 162 and rest for another 30 minutes.
Lastly, raise the temp to 172 and mash-out / recirculate (I recirculate during the entire mash)

Have you used the recipe editor to plug in your numbers and what not to see if your acid malt addition is sufficient?

There are some videos that show how to create a recipe and how to adjust water chemistry... There is one that walks you through creating an equipment profile too. (Not sure if you can do all that on a trial membership but I assume you should be able to).

A single infusion at 152 would also work if you wanted to keep things simple.

Is this your first brew on the brew monk? If so, a single infusion may be best until you have your system down.

@Nosybear What do you typically use?
I've been using the multi-step for my other German Lagers and have liked the results well enough but I know you tend to make this style specifically.

Reactions: Jnh
A single infusion at 152 would also work if you wanted to keep things simple.

Is this your first brew on the brew monk? If so, a single infusion may be best until you have your system down.

@Nosybear What do you typically use?
I've been using the multi-step for my other German Lagers and have liked the results well enough but I know you tend to make this style specifically.
Thanks for your reply,
I upgraded to premium and have been playing around with the recipe editor. Punching in the numbers, to get a mash ph of 5.3 i would need to add 180g Acid Malt which is 4.4% of the grain bill or 4.4ml Lactic Acid. Looks like i'll have to go with that and hope there isn't any noticeable flavour from the lactic acid in the final product.

I have carried out 9 brews on the Brew Monk, all ales so confident with the equipment. I recirculate slowly and stir a few times and have found efficiency increases a bit on doing so.
I shall go with your suggestion of a multi step infusion mash and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the advise.

Hi all,

My recipe consists of
90% Pilsner Malt- 3 EBC
5% Vienna Malt- 4 EBC
2% Acid Malt- 6 EBC

My questions are:

Thanks in advance.
If you're really a beginner, single infusion, 152 degrees F. If you can do step mashes, 144-156-168.

Reactions: Jnh

Back