Work-around for broken picnic tap?

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had both of my picnic taps crack within 4 days of one another. Both handles had the little black tabs crack off. I had one spare, but I’m left with one keg in need of a solution. Anyone have a sneaky way to activate a broken picnic tap (without spraying beer all over)? I’ve already ordered 3 more!!

7C5A91F4-75D7-4C32-A0EF-CA2DA4085BFA.jpeg

I don't think they're terribly expensive to replace.

Cheap in fact. 3.99 from MoreBeer. But I won’t get them for at least a week...and there is a keg that desperately needs to be separated from its contents. :)
No local shop to make a fast run to? Those broken pins are what pulls the valve up.

You know this is just an option Megary and def not the best one I'm sure but the most simplest route I'd take is disconnect beer line from keg cut the tap off (your going to do that anyhow) and just find the biggest cup you've got jam the beer line down deep into that 're connect the beer line to keg and pour until near at top then disconnect beer line.

This is how i take samples off my pressure fermentor I use a long beer line no tap and just pour straight to tall glass your going to get some foaming;).

But in the end it's not going to affect the beer and you get to consume

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have no place local to run for a spare so I went to our old friend YouTube and watched a video from BrewTube Tech (or something like that).

Drilled a hole through the handle.
Drilled a hole through the white plunger.
Inserted a paper clip.
Cut the clip and bent it.

Back in business.

:)

223434DB-453D-4BC1-A983-87B1120574BA.jpeg
D9D39DA5-2E8B-49F3-B868-0B160F078A0F.jpeg

47A1A088-2F32-44A7-A7E9-AE9CD4697ECC.jpeg

I am bowing in your general direction, my friend. Truly brilliant.

I am bowing in your general direction, my friend. Truly brilliant.
I’m not very good at engineering solutions to problems, but I’m pretty good at following directions. :D

This guy gets all the credit for the idea.

I'm a bit late since you already got it but that's the kind of farmer fix I'd do.

Nice work.

Back