One ferm chamber, One temp controller, two beers

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Where to you place the sensor when you have more than one beer in the ferm chamber? I have only brewed one beer since getting my chest freezer. I just taped the sensor to the carboy and let the controller do its thing. I may brew two batches this weekend but I'm stymied as to where to place the sensor.

I do this all the time, I just pick one of the fermenters, the other one should follow along in step, at least pretty closely if the volumes are the same.
Agreed. Tape the probe to the side of one of the fermentors. It won't be exact but then yeast don't have thermometers.

I've used the thermowell in one fermenter and I've also used ambient temperature and set the controller at the lower end of fermentation range for the yeasts. Both have produced acceptable results. Whenever possible, I try to only ferment one at a time so there's no need to compromise.

If you can, put an old computer fan or similar in the fermenter chamber to keep the temperature uniform throughout. Sometimes I put the temp probe in front of the outlet of the fan. Taping it on the fermenter works well too.

Many answers from many brewers. I think we can all agree that controlling fermentations individually is best. Close works much better in horseshoes and hand grenades :)

That's the best way if you can fit it into your schedule.

My ferm chamber only holds one fermenter so if I do a double batch I'll have to pitch Kveik and put it on the counter for the second one.

Back