Need racking/siphoning advice- no auto-siphon

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US there is zero reason to order homebrew supplies from Amazon. State side places like morebeer, northernbrewer, etc. are fast and relatively cheap for shipping.
The main reason I used Amazon for the bulk of my equipment is that I had gift cards to use. Also it seems like Morebeer has similar prices but with me having prime and getting free shipping on most stuff I'd be paying almost twice as much for it. Starting the siphon is actually way easier than I remember so I think I might be ok if it doesn't show up.

I'd add to what @thunderwagn posted, never buy perishables like yeast, grains, hops, extracts or kits from Amazon. Even if they seem like a good deal, these items are not handled or stored differently than non perishables. If you want yeast that was treated like a wrench or a book, that's where you'll find it.
Oh I would never on the perishables. I got all mine from a local store

The ticket to buying from on line suppliers is to be aware of their flat rate and/or free shipping thresholds. Plan ahead and order at levels to take advantage of these rates. MoreBeer, for instance, has free shipping for most items on orders of $59 and more. They're my #1 supplier for grains and smaller quantities of hops. They don't carry Mangrove Jack's yeasts, which I prefer, so I seldom get yeast from them. They also are among the suppliers I price for equipment needs and other odds & ends.

I buy most of my hops by the pound from Yakima Valley Hops. They offer shipping in a flat rate padded envelope that will fit 4 lbs. of pellet hops for $8 and they also cay Mangrove Jack's yeasts. There is another supplier that generally has better hop prices, but their shipping rates make them more expensive, and they only sell hops. When I need 3 lbs. of hops I order Mangrove Jack's yeast and it ships in the flat rate envelope with the hops. This spreads the flat rate shipping over more product and essentially makes it cost less.

Just a couple of examples of how to save on shipping. It's a matter of becoming familiar with shipping policies and planning ahead. I have Prime too, but can usually get almost anything brewing related for the same, or lower price from brewing suppliers by taking advantage of their discounted shipping.

Also, monitor this site for deals: https://www.homebrewfinds.com/

If you got your perishables from a local store, why wouldn't you buy your auto siphon there?
Like I said I initially bought my stuff online because I had gift cards. I continued buying online for convenience. Feel weird just causally browsing around a store right now with Covid and they have a sign up on the door basically saying "don't come in if you don't know what you want-get in and out". I did just find the same one for a couple dollars more on their website so I might pop in there and grab it but I would have still preferred to save a few more dollars on Amazon.

Ah, the value for a couple more dollars. You get to look at the product and make sure it isn't damaged, and you have it in your hands to use as soon as you buy it. We live and learn.

Ah, the value for a couple more dollars. You get to look at the product and make sure it isn't damaged, and you have it in your hands to use as soon as you buy it. We live and learn.
Not to mention that you are supporting a locally owned business, instead of the nameless, faceless entity, Amazon (the retail Borg). I use Amazon when it makes sense, but I also try to support my LHBS as much as I can. Many home brew shops ha e had to close, even though home brewing is on the rise...
But for sure, gotta use up those gift cards:D

Not to mention that you are supporting a locally owned business, instead of the nameless, faceless entity, Amazon (the retail Borg). I use Amazon when it makes sense, but I also try to support my LHBS as much as I can. Many home brew shops ha e had to close, even though home brewing is on the rise...
Yeah, it's one thing if the lhbs is crap to begin with, but it sure does suck when a good one shuts it's doors. I loved our lhbs and it's been a real pain trying to purchase some of our excellent local grains because of no retail outlet.
Gift cards and online convenience I totally get, but if your local shop is decent at all, I'd try to support it as much as possible cause it sure does blow when they go away.

I am fortunate to have 2 good shops less than 30 minutes away. The smaller of the two was really good to me back in April and May. They don't have a great breadth of grain inventory, but they are my #1 now, they have my loyalty now. I bought my Brewzilla there.

I'd rather have the extra dollars in my hand. It's one thing to talk about paying more to stay local but as a millennial with massive student loan debt it isn't practical. I did buy my ingredients at my LHBS and wasn't impressed. The LME they sold me was outdated! I know I probably should have checked but that's just not cool. I might give them one more chance. There's another store locally but my father-in-law says their ingredients tend to be overpriced. If I have to I might have to start sourcing my ingredients from sites like Northern Brewer.
I do prefer to buy any perishables locally. I've been using Amazon more recently because I don't want to spend more time than I have to in stores right now. Especially when I'm already in one 8-10 hours a day. Remember at the end of the day resistance is futile...

Now I think Amazon is taunting me...

Just got an email to rate the transaction...
For a product I haven't received that's most likely lost...:mad:

Steve, if you have prime it's time for an angry letter...you'll feel better after the venting and you will most likely get a refund or maybe some other concession from Mr. Jeffey Bigbux.

And plus one for my Canadian Brewers Friend Craigerrr.....embrace your inner Papazian....even if it is with a commercial Craft!

I'd rather have the extra dollars in my hand. It's one thing to talk about paying more to stay local but as a millennial with massive student loan debt it isn't practical. I did buy my ingredients at my LHBS and wasn't impressed. The LME they sold me was outdated! I know I probably should have checked but that's just not cool. I might give them one more chance. There's another store locally but my father-in-law says their ingredients tend to be overpriced. If I have to I might have to start sourcing my ingredients from sites like Northern Brewer.

I do prefer to buy any perishables locally. I've been using Amazon more recently because I don't want to spend more time than I have to in stores right now. Especially when I'm already in one 8-10 hours a day. Remember at the end of the day resistance is futile...
Maybe let them know next time you are in that they sold you outdated LME last time, and that it was for your first ever batch. I personally would have no issue telling them that I want to support local bricks an morter stores, but they need to bring value, and make you feel like a customer, not a nuisance. If they don't respond well to that then eff em, find a better source of supply.

Sunset Hydroponics & Homebrewing, seem to have good reviews
Beers of the World seem more like a brewery, but they appear to sell supplies
There is also a home brew club called Upstate New York Home Brew Club, they may have helpful advice about where to get supplies and ingredients.

Sunset Hydroponics & Homebrewing, seem to have good reviews
Beers of the World seem more like a brewery, but they appear to sell supplies
There is also a home brew club called Upstate New York Home Brew Club, they may have helpful advice about where to get supplies and ingredients.
Yeah Sunset was where I went. Beers of the World is actually just a retail store that just sells beer and has a huge variety of beers but yeah homebrewing is a smaller segment of their business and from what I've been told they're overpriced. That's pretty much it locally. Next time I'm at my parents I might have to make an excuse to sneak away and check out some of the stores in Buffalo

Yeah Sunset was where I went. Beers of the World is actually just a retail store that just sells beer and has a huge variety of beers but yeah homebrewing is a smaller segment of their business and from what I've been told they're overpriced. That's pretty much it locally. Next time I'm at my parents I might have to make an excuse to sneak away and check out some of the stores in Buffalo
I'd see if you can get DME instead too. I think it's a much better product than LME.

I like going to the local lhbs as well but Morebeer is my #1 stop. Here's why for me. When I order its always over $59. At one of the lhbs I use I bought 10lbs of Golden Promise (needed it the next day) and it cost me $32. Morebeer had it for $17.99 and this is just one example.

I like going to the local lhbs as well but Morebeer is my #1 stop. Here's why for me. When I order its always over $59. At one of the lhbs I use I bought 10lbs of Golden Promise (needed it the next day) and it cost me $32. Morebeer had it for $17.99 and this is just one example.
I wouldn't consider morebeer to be an Amazon type deal, they may not be local to you precisely, but they are, to the best of my knowledge, an American company with 2 bricks and morter locations.

Back in the day, a favorite trick for siphoning gas was to go to the local inspiration point and siphon it from a car with all the windows fogged up and some obvious motion going on inside. Even if the occupants heard a bit of noise, you know they'd be too busy to respond :)

That's why so many US kids died to slashers! I've seen your historical films about kids getting killed at makeout point.

Back