Help troubleshooting first BIAB stout!

Brewer #330687

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Attempted my first all grain BIAB yesterday - tried an oatmeal stout. I developed the recipe from all the recipes I've seen, and tweaked it based on the grains I had on hand.

Couple of things went a bit wrong - most importantly, my OG was much lower than what it should have been - 1.036 instead of 1.057 (maybe cos I sparged? Is this complete brewer noobage? :D)

Secondly, the wort (right after mashing, before the boil) was extremely oily to the touch! Was a bit surprised...don't know if this is normal for the grain bill or something went very wrong. After the boil it has reduced significantly but there is still a slight oiliness to it.

I mashed at 67 C for 60 mins, lost 10 degrees so mashed for another 15 mins. and then mash out for ten mins at 74 C.

Grain bill: (8L batch. Mashed 2kg grain with 6L water, sparged with 2L. topped up to 9L for boil)
Pale (Belgain) malt - 70%
Crystal 55L - 5%
Flaked oats - 16%
Chocolate malt - 4.5%
Roasted barley - 4.5% (I didn't mill this..don't know if this is bad as well)

I'm sure me error is staring you in the face from my description above...but I need it to stare me in the face!

Look forward to your expertise!

Just curious...

How did you measure your OG and what was the temperature of the sample?

Most hydrometers are corrected for closer to 20C.
Was there a reason for not crushing the roasted barley?
Possibly crush was not fine enough.
Sorry, can't comment on the oily feel.

Most hydrometers are corrected for closer to 20C.
Was there a reason for not crushing the roasted barley?
Possibly crush was not fine enough.
Sorry, can't comment on the oily feel.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll be more mindful of temperature next time I measure SG. Not crushing the roasted barley - I'm not sure....I think I read or saw a video where they said roasted barley need not be milled since it's unmalted. Don't know if this theory holds..Thought I'd go with it just as an experiment. I guess milling it next time would be better?

So correcting for temperature, your OG was probably 1.040-ish. Definitely check to see what temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for. Then use the calculator on this site (under Tools) to correct the gravity.

I would guess the oily slickness probably came from the Flaked Oats, but again that is a guess. I’ve used Oats before, but not to 16%. That percentage of Flaked Oats *could* cause a bit of a head retention issue in your finished beer, but again that’s not a certainty.

As @Craigerrr pointed out, the most likely cause of the low OG is from a grain crush that wasn’t fine enough. My first BIAB, I missed my OG by half a mile. Next time I crushed a lot finer and hit my numbers dead on. You’ll dial it in.

Check this post out when you get some time.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/biab-crush-experiment.12411/#post-94912

So correcting for temperature, your OG was probably 1.040-ish. Definitely check to see what temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for. Then use the calculator on this site (under Tools) to correct the gravity.

I would guess the oily slickness probably came from the Flaked Oats, but again that is a guess. I’ve used Oats before, but not to 16%. That percentage of Flaked Oats *could* cause a bit of a head retention issue in your finished beer, but again that’s not a certainty.

As @Craigerrr pointed out, the most likely cause of the low OG is from a grain crush that wasn’t fine enough. My first BIAB, I missed my OG by half a mile. Next time I crushed a lot finer and hit my numbers dead on. You’ll dial it in.

Check this post out when you get some time.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/biab-crush-experiment.12411/#post-94912
Thanks a lot Megary! That's really helpful. Didn't think it would be the grain crush of all things. Had it milled by the seller himself cos I don't have a mill. I'll experiment a bit, and meanwhile I'll check out the link. As for the oiliness...as you said, it might be the oats...nothing I can do now - hopefully post fermentation it reduces. Thanks again!

Back