Retirement advice...same as young adult advice!

BrewPatgonia

Trial Member
Reaction score
LOL....;)
the advice would go like this.....
; stay at home as long as you can... get an education..but don't leave your parents house until they force you to do so!
it is safe there, and you don't have many expenses.... life is great at your parents house,... food is plentiful and you can bypass some of the rules of 'roof over your head'

Retirement.... don't do it!
continue working as long as they will allow it.

LMAO

I am semi-retired.. or retired by choice. I may not return to work, but option is available if I need the $

I work more now than I did when I had income from corporations.
between......... taking care of ...worrying about.. my income from investments, etc...
and construction (by choice) of cabins and apartments .... which require maintenance.
and brewing beers.. to enjoy with friends... (*while enjoying as well during brew activities)
and 'honey-do' lists
and any other hobbies you try to have.... fishing, metal detecting, gardening, skydiving (just kidding there).... etc,

Advice is to ..... stay away from retirement.
.. as well as to sponge off the parents and grandparents as long as they will let you!

Truth be known... I thouroughly enjoy brewing.... more so than drinking... but, can't do one without the other.

just thought I would start this question.... and open a 'can of worms'... since that is entertaining :)

I retired about 6 years ago. Have had several opportunities since and passed on all of them. Between work around the house and pursuing my hobbies, I stay plenty busy. As for my kids, we had strict rules when they lived at home and made it clear that none of them would be relaxed regardless of their age. The last one went off to college, and away from home right after graduating from HS. It was worth what it cost us.
PC? Probably not. Good for them? Definitely.

My advice to adults. Retire when you're able and damn well feel like it.
My advice to youths. Get out into the real world as soon as you can. It'll give you a head start on those who live with mommy and daddy until they get thrown out.

Sage advice: I'm a year or ten from retirement, depending on how badly the economy (and the markets) tank as a result of Covid and inept leadership, although I have to say we're doing pretty well here in CO. I get a dry run next week: I'm off for a week on furlough. Anyway, I'll be more than happy to leave corporate America behind.

I get a dry run next week: I'm off for a week on furlough.
ohhh no. Furlough, is only a week... that'll be a vacation... when you retire and it is long term.. you'll wish that you hadn't.. it isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

I keep urging all my buddies to keep wakin early and making that drive on the busy freeways each and every day. I'll provide the beers and grilling on the weekends if they keep putting off retirement.

What are real friends for anyway? if they can't provide the beverages.

I retired from my real job when I was 46. I started helping out with brewing forums while I was still working for several years, which led to doing some writing articles on brewing. Now I help out part time with a couple of companies, working from home. I also make a tiny bit of income from Airbnb on one of my houses.

So I’m mostly retired from work. But I have a couple of projects doing fun things like helping out with some software (ahem, Brewer’s Friend for one), writing some articles and recipes for a homebrew store, and other little internet based fun things.

I love it! No more midnight ambulance runs, no 12 hour shifts, and I get to talk about beer. And soap. Constantly.

I retired from my job January 1, 2017. I worked for a major pest control company, and put in almost 22 years. But by my late 50s, my knees couldn't take it anymore, and neither could my patience with the increasing corporate demands. I got a good 401(k), and my wife continues to teach, which brings in good money. I got a part-time job in the deli department of a local supermarket, just so I wouldn't have to draw too much from my retirement income.

Then, in April, I was told one of the cashiers caught the virus. I hadn't come into contact with her, but that was too close for me. I'm 61, I was not feeling all that confident still working with the public, despite all the precautions, and I had decided I was going to quit for good in December anyway. So I left the next day.

I started a blog, www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com, mostly for my own amusement and because I enjoy writing, especially writing about beer/brewing. I've done more cooking, and more reading, and I'm just enjoying the down time. A morning walk, some afternoon errands, meal planning. I stay busy, but the important difference is I'm as busy as I wanna be, instead of busy as I gotta be.

I retired from my job January 1, 2017. I worked for a major pest control company, and put in almost 22 years. But by my late 50s, my knees couldn't take it anymore, and neither could my patience with the increasing corporate demands. I got a good 401(k), and my wife continues to teach, which brings in good money. I got a part-time job in the deli department of a local supermarket, just so I wouldn't have to draw too much from my retirement income.

Then, in April, I was told one of the cashiers caught the virus. I hadn't come into contact with her, but that was too close for me. I'm 61, I was not feeling all that confident still working with the public, despite all the precautions, and I had decided I was going to quit for good in December anyway. So I left the next day.

I started a blog, www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com, mostly for my own amusement and because I enjoy writing, especially writing about beer/brewing. I've done more cooking, and more reading, and I'm just enjoying the down time. A morning walk, some afternoon errands, meal planning. I stay busy, but the important difference is I'm as busy as I wanna be, instead of busy as I gotta be.
I'll be sure to follow along! I love the homepage pics! Wicked nice flight!

I'll be sure to follow along! I love the homepage pics! Wicked nice flight!
Thanks, Blackie! I usually update Beer Thoughts toward the end of each month. In fact, I was going to post a new one this morning. Recipes updates are a little more rare, but I try to keep current, especially if it ties in with the Beer Thoughts topic. I should be updating it in a couple of weeks, as I'm waiting to keg a batch of a new Best Bitter I came up with. The Brauhaus gets updated early every week, if I remember to do it.

Really, it's Beer Thoughts and Recipes that have new content most frequently. But check in any time you like.

Last edited:

Back