What are you drinking right now?

Just got back from my sons graduation ceremony. Did a quick trip around the yard to even it all out for their graduation party tomorrow. Now treating myself to a cold one.
IMG_20200718_202859.jpg
IMG_20200718_180450.jpg

Here's what a graduation ceremony looks like during covid 2020.

Just got back from my sons graduation ceremony. Did a quick trip around the yard to even it all out for their graduation party tomorrow. Now treating myself to a cold one.
View attachment 10940 View attachment 10941
Here's what a graduation ceremony looks like during covid 2020.
Bloody hell almost looks like a scene from star wars with everyone wearing those masks.

Good on your boys there Thunderwagon for sticking it out.

Lemon Mash Saison

Nice phenolic spice from Belle Saison and a lemon/citrus finish. An argument can be made that lemon/citrus isn’t right for a Saison, but this really is a great summer beer that just muscled its way into my regular rotation. Now I want to try mashing an American Wheat with lemons...

The Mash, in production...
F4B58104-ADAB-444B-9C04-37129FE6341B.jpeg

The finished product...
E4711ADF-DF01-4066-AF23-72D3851ED901.jpeg

Lemon Mash Saison

Nice phenolic spice from Belle Saison and a lemon/citrus finish. An argument can be made that lemon/citrus isn’t right for a Saison, but this really is a great summer beer that just muscled its way into my regular rotation. Now I want to try mashing an American Wheat with lemons...

View attachment 10945

The finished product...
View attachment 10946
So you can taste the lemon flavour in the final product.
That look beautiful btw sorta delicate in that glass.

So you can taste the lemon flavour in the final product.
That look beautiful btw sorta delicate in that glass.
I absolutely get a lemon/citrus taste. Maybe more citrus than lemon?? Hard to say really but that sourness is present for sure. I would love to try this again to see if I got lucky (or follow along if someone else gives it a go). The useful info I got was 1 pound of lemons for 5 gallons. I took it on faith and ran with it. I cut that in half for my 2.5gal batch, what amounted to all of 2 lemons.

I absolutely get a lemon/citrus taste. Maybe more citrus than lemon?? Hard to say really but that sourness is present for sure. I would love to try this again to see if I got lucky (or follow along if someone else gives it a go). The useful info I got was 1 pound of lemons for 5 gallons. I took it on faith and ran with it. I cut that in half for my 2.5gal batch, what amounted to all of 2 lemons.
Awesome. So you squeezed in the lemon halves into the mash and threw in the lemon cheeks as well.

I've done a lager but with limes I think it was late in the boil and flavours clashed some.
Cool.

Lemon Mash Saison

View attachment 10945

The finished product...
View attachment 10946

Ah, lemons. For a minute I thought the floaters were croutons :)

Awesome. So you squeezed in the lemon halves into the mash and threw in the lemon cheeks as well.

I've done a lager but with limes I think it was late in the boil and flavours clashed some.
Cool.
I ran some boiled water over the lemons and wiped off the wax with a paper towel. Then I cut the lemons in quarters and added them to the mash. No squeezing, peeling, grating...nothing. Quartered and in. Then I discarded them with the spent grains after the mash. My failure here was to not check the mash pH with a meter. I really should have. But I also really hate my pH meter. :)

I ran some boiled water over the lemons and wiped off the wax with a paper towel. Then I cut the lemons in quarters and added them to the mash. No squeezing, peeling, grating...nothing. Quartered and in. Then I discarded them with the spent grains after the mash. My failure here was to not check the mash pH with a meter. I really should have. But I also really hate my pH meter. :)
Yeah I'd just skip any acid additions on the water calc and rely on a citric acid to bring ph down which it would just I'm imagining it'd take a fair bit of lemons for that...

Lemon Mash Saison

View attachment 10945

The finished product...
View attachment 10946
An argument can be made for just about anything you care to imagine being right for a Saison.

Enjoyed this beauty after completing all of my cleaning tasks, kegs, buckets,mash tun etc. The market is flooded with Hazy's, but I am glad I tried this one. Great Lakes make some great beer, this is another example of their fine work.
View attachment 10976

Hmm..
The sun's not yet over the yardarm there, is it??

;)

Back