Craft Brewing Magazines

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Do you subscribe to any?
Print? Digital?
Do you have a favorite?
Are there any that are a waste of time and $$$?

I was thinking that I would like to subscribe to one or two.
I know there is BYO, and Craft Beer & Brewing. Are those the go to magazines?

I subscribe in print to Zymurgy and CB&B. I enjoy them both. Zymurgy is definitely more “Homebrewer friendly” and CB&B is geared more toward the craft brewing industry. They compliment each other nicely. Having the corresponding Ap’s, I love being able to access all of the back issues from both magazines. Just a ton of great info.

Zymurgy as it's part of the AHA membership. I get both the print and digital. I subscribed to BYO some time ago and found it to be geared more to novice homebrewers. After that, I tried CB&B, At the time their focus was on Belgians, sours and other things I'm not interested in. Zymurgy is pretty well balanced and definitely geared more to homebrewers on all levels. I like their gadget edition every year too. Hopefully, with the shakeup at the BA, they keep the magazine to the level we're used to.

Right now I'm just getting BYO. I let my Zymurgy sub expire this year for the first time in years. I really like them both and paid for digital/hard copy. I tried just digital once and couldn't stand it.
Personally, I've always liked BYO better. I find I like the writers and articles more.

Right now I'm just getting BYO. I let my Zymurgy sub expire this year for the first time in years. I really like them both and paid for digital/hard copy. I tried just digital once and couldn't stand it.
Personally, I've always liked BYO better. I find I like the writers and articles more.

Zymurgy now gives you an option of downloading a PDF of the entire issue. Much more readable than any of the formats they've used over the years.

Do you subscribe to any?
Print? Digital?
Do you have a favorite?

I get Zymurgy with my AHA membership, BYO, my article with be in the next edition, and Craft Beer and Brewing. Zymurgy is my least favorite, the recipes in CB&B are generally spot-on and BYO has great technical information. I'd like a more technical reference but can't find one short of joining ASBC.

Do you subscribe to any?
Print? Digital?
Do you have a favorite?

I LOVE BYO! I have the digital and print subscriptions. You just missed their $1 back issues sale... I'm sure they'll have it again. I got 8 magazines for 16 bucks (shipping was 8 dollars). It was nice to dive through their past issues and just get the ones that interested me the most.
I would say, bang for buck though is their digital membership. They have some great articles that you can read at a whim for relatively cheap money - easy reference material!

My wife had subscribed me to CB&B... I wasn't a fan though. Not enough stuff on brewing and it appeared that most articles were geared towards current trends (at least when I had the subscription) - which I don't brew or really drink so personally, it just didn't jive.

I've been wanting to try Zymurgy... We'll see.

I've noticed that Zymurgy and BYO tend to address the same topics at relatively the same time. I prefer BYO but as mentioned, Zymurgy comes with my AHA membership.

I have Zymurgy, BYO, and CB&B. All digital. I like BYO the least since I’m not seeing it as a full issue but links to click. Although I use BYO the most for actually brewing, tips on the style and ingredients etc. Love how many recipes Zymurgy has so I’ve based stuff of of those.

I get print editions of both BYO and Zymurgy. I like them both but, probably have a preference for BYO. I worry what the layoffs at AHA will due to the quality of Zymurgy.

So, just the three publications then? Not that I think there should be more, just don't know.

So, just the three publications then? Not that I think there should be more, just don't know.

It's tough out there for magazines. I took one on a couple of years ago, Beer Imbiber, which was a small circulation print magazine that had been around since the 70s but was dying.

I thought it would be an easy fix because beer is very 'now' but found it really tough to find any traction. In the end, I came to the conclusion that there's very little appetite for paying for the written word.

There's loads of content to be had for nothing and we're all publishers now so persuading people to part with a few quid for (quality) written content is a really tough sell so subscriptions wither, magazines die, and we end up with only a few left.

I honestly hope that the ones that are left have a solid readership and can thrive. The world is a slightly poorer place every time one of them falls over.

Oh, and I get the Brewers Journal; possibly the worst edited publication I've ever seen. Cancelled now, I can't abide the messy grammatical errors. I'm not grammatically perfect, but I know what a f***ing posessive apostrophe is and 'Brewers Journal' is in dire need of one.

There's the German "Brauwelt." But it's more geared to big professional brewers. And it's in German.

I'm not entirely sure why I get them but I get CB&B and BYO. but I hardly read them.

Been like Christmas for me since February when I started brewing. I’ve been able to read back issues going back like 10 years I think for the 3 I have.

Back